Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

Man orders pet python to attack police officers

16 posts in this topic

The Associated Press

Article Last Updated: 06/17/2008 06:21:25 AM CDT

BRIDGEPORT, Conn.—Bridgeport police say they arrested a city man after he ordered his pet to attack two officers. Lucky for them that 9-foot-long pythons aren't very obedient.

Police Lt. James Viadero says 21-year-old Victor Rodriguez was charged with threatening police and disorderly conduct after Monday's incident. No one was hurt.

Officers were called to Rodriguez's apartment on a report that he was threatening his girlfriend with the pet reptile.

Viadero says that when the building superintendent opened the apartment door for the officers, Rodriguez allegedly threatened them with the snake and told it to "Get them!"

Rodriguez and his pet were both taken away: Rodriguez to jail on a $10,000 bond, and the albino python to the city's animal control shelter.

This story is rediculous.

"charged with threatening police" its almost laughable in my opinion.

It reminds me of car chases when the cop car cuts off the suspect and the suspect hits the cop and then the suspect get attemped vehicular manslaughter.

I have a pet snake that I trained to do the tango, but I cant seem to train him to attack my enemies. Hes stubborn that way i guess.

wonder if they are as good as rattlesnake?

nice pair of boots, matching wallet, and belt!

This story is rediculous.

"charged with threatening police" its almost laughable in my opinion.

It reminds me of car chases when the cop car cuts off the suspect and the suspect hits the cop and then the suspect get attemped vehicular manslaughter.

I always thought that was a weird charge too.

I think it can be justified with the more seriouse criminals though, because it gives them another hurdle to go through in court.

I think the only reason they charged the guy was to "tack" on as much as they could on this guy.

If he was a real ___hole, I don't blame them.

I think the only reason they charged the guy was to "tack" on as much as they could on this guy.

Ya. If hes dumb enough to sick a python on somebody, he probably gets what he deserves. Plus it sounds like he was abusing his lady-friend. jerk-bait-bait!

The guy needs a rubber room for a while. I used to have a snake trained to clean the sewer lines for me, just point him down the drain and away he goes. 15 minutes later I whistle down the drain and in a couple of minutes up it comes. Give the snake a bath and he is ready to go again. The hard part of training is the coming back part. Have lost a few that way.

Here's my take on this. If they arrest him for the domestic, the GF would have to press charges to get it to go anywhere. If they charge with threatening an officer, they got him. Makes sense to me.

The Associated Press

Article Last Updated: 06/17/2008 06:21:25 AM CDT

BRIDGEPORT, Conn.—Bridgeport police say they arrested a city man after he ordered his pet to attack two officers. Lucky for them that 9-foot-long pythons aren't very obedient.

Police Lt. James Viadero says 21-year-old Victor Rodriguez was charged with threatening police and disorderly conduct after Monday's incident. No one was hurt.

Officers were called to Rodriguez's apartment on a report that he was threatening his girlfriend with the pet reptile.

Viadero says that when the building superintendent opened the apartment door for the officers, Rodriguez allegedly threatened them with the snake and told it to "Get them!"

Rodriguez and his pet were both taken away: Rodriguez to jail on a $10,000 bond, and the albino python to the city's animal control shelter.

Yeah, by all means charge the guy.

Telling a snake to eat a police officer is like putting a loaded gun down on the table and telling it to shoot the cop.

"Yo, python, eat Deputy Dog."

"Yo, Ruger, shoot Deputy Dog."

Both listen pretty well, don't they? Golly, if either of them actually listened and did the deed you'd have a real headline, wouldn't you? Sheesh, what a crock. Let's clog up the courts with more drivel. They haven't got enough useless work to do as it is.

The three cops in my family would have laughed at the guy and dumped him in the joint to cool off with a pending charge of threatening the girlfriend. And the GF doesn't necessarily have to press charges in order to get them to stick. The responding officer can file domestic abuse charges in many states, and in some states is required to do so. If the guy actually took the snake over to the girlfriend, pushed it toward her or put it on her and threatened her with it, that'd be domestic abuse, or terrorizing, or any number of other possibilities.

Or it could all be a big misunderstanding. A neighbor in an apartment building or through the window of a house hears this happening but doesn't see it, and calls the cops (right thing to do, IMO). But that doesn't mean it really happened that way. Too many unknowns, and this little news snippet has virtually no meaningful facts.

But hey, far be it from me to stop the pending online slaughter. Let's all HAVE AT THE PERP! Guilty until proven innocent. Really, it's in the U.S. Constitution. Somewhere in there, anyway. shocked

Sandmannd, did you have an actual purpose in posting this, or were you just trolling? And if a purpose, why didn't you say what it was in your OP?

I think maybe we are missing something here. I get the impression from the article that the person "threatened" the officers and stated, "Get them". We are missing what action may have taken place along with the statement.

I will take your example one step further. Lets replace your gun on the table with a BB gun but this time the guy was pointing it at the officers. So, its an object that cant do much harm but by the means in which its being used, can give a reasonable person a belief of harm or threat.

So, lets say you open a door and someone thrusts a 9 foot snake at you. I think a reasonable person would be alarmed. I dont know if a reasonable person can instantly ascertain if such a snake is harmless or not. I dont think I would want to be bit...even if its not poisonous. A 9 foot snake is a pretty intimidating animal in my opinion. I think most people are even more intimidated by such a animal because its a snake and most people dont have much experience with such large snakes....as compared to a large dog for example.

In most states, to threaten someone does not mean that you have to have a dangerous weapon. For example, I can tell you that I am going to shoot you and then reach into my pants line as if I was going to pull out a weapon. This could cause you fear...and thus you have reached the level of a threat...or what is commonly called terrorist threats. Yes, its a extremely simple example, but I think it shows my point.

Now, in my experience, the local prosecutors nearly always ask the LE officers to charge out all applicable charges. The theory is to allow them to use charges as leverage in plea agreements, which in turn, lessing the clog on the system.

In the end, I agree with you....there isn't enough info in the article to give a clear understanding of what took place.

I think Sandmans purpose for the post was just to share an interseting article...its not something you see or read everyday.

Cliffy

Yep, lots of assumptions. Since the initial article was so slim on facts, we each make the assumptions that echo our individual personalities and then we're OFF to the races!

That's what makes Silly Town so great. We can all exorcise our demons, and as long as we don't cross the line of forum policy it's all good. gringrin

I still say this original post is a troll. But a smart troll. A fellow should run his lures by an active pod of fish to get bites. gringrin

i wonder how pythons taste and how are they best prepared?

Better be careful PETA may be watching laugh

Originally Posted By: tacklejunkie
i wonder how pythons taste and how are they best prepared?

Better be careful PETA may be watching laugh

Peta = PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS!