• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MPG towing?

portageman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2004 avalanche 5.3 litre pullin a 620t with dual axle trailer. Bemidji and back last weekend round trip average according to computer 13.2 m.p.g.. Some town driving as well as hwy 71 cruise set at 63. About 300 miles.

2006 Chevy Silvarado 5.3 ltr pulling a 2025 Lund Pro-V with a dual axle, I get 13-13.5 mpg. I have tried to drive smarter, and it has helped because last year same truck and boat, I was getting 11.5 mpg.

Don't trust the trip computer. The one in my '06 GM car says I get 30 on average, using the calculator I get 26.5! mad

I just got back from another trip to Mille Lacs and on my '02 Ford Supercrew 5.4L I slowed down a couple of MPH and my MPG's went from 12 to 12.5 this trip towing a 1775 Pro V.

16.5 mpg in a 4.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee towing a Lund Tyee 1850 with a 4.3 I/O loaded down to about 3500 lbs traveling at 60-65 mph. If I try to go 70 mph, mileage drops to 15mpg., and at 75 mileage drops to 13.5 mph

I got 16.5 mpg over the weekend pulling a 16ft alumacraft with my 04 Silverado 5.3, 3.73 gears. The truck was full with myself and 5 passengers as well as all of the associated "luggage" that comes along with traveling up north with the family. grin

It's all about speed and your overdrive. The slowest speed at which the overdrive gear functions steadily is the most economical speed to drive, towing or not.

If you have the patience and courage, try keeping your speed as close to your vehicle's slowest overdrive speed for a tank of driving. You'll be amazed at what you can get for mileage.

2001 v6 4runner towing 16' Alumacraft

75mph=15mpg

55mph=20mpg

We did 16.56 with an "05 Grand Caravan pulling a 16.5 Sylvan Pro Fisherman @ 60 mph with automatic in D3 without overdrive as the manual insisted. This on our vac up to G. Rapids. Does one really have to stay out of D (w/overdrive) while towing as the book says?

I have an '06 Dodge Charger R/T that I pull a Lund 1425 Classic with. I know I have plenty of power and torque to easily handle the rig, but I still follow the manual and keep it out of overdrive and into 1:1 direct drive (happens to be 4th gear on the Charger). You may get a little better mileage in overdrive, but you will be putting your transmission at risk over time. I suppose a large transmission oil cooler will help, but with an automatic transmission, you are still bound to have some negative slippage.

-Gregg B.

We did 16.56 with an "05 Grand Caravan pulling a 16.5 Sylvan Pro Fisherman @ 60 mph with automatic in D3 without overdrive as the manual insisted. This on our vac up to G. Rapids. Does one really have to stay out of D (w/overdrive) while towing as the book says?

The last tranny I had to put in cost me $2,800! cry Is it really worth the risk? It's not for me anymore. 2,800 dollars still buys alot of gas.

With OEM 195/70/15 tires, 22 mpg with a 94 Toyota truck (4cyl/5 sp.) pulling a 14' Lund & 20 hp Yamaha and also my previous boat - 16' Lund & 30 hp Johnson. Also got the same mpg on a 300 mile run pulling an 800 lb. trailer empty and on the return trip with a 1000 lb. 425 JD lawn tractor w/ 54" mower on the trailer. Seems like if I'm pulling a trailer it's 22 no matter how much weight.

A little side note, I needed new tires on the back and found some new tires at a garage sale that were 195/65/15 and now get 22-23 empty compared with 25-27 with 195/70/15 OEM. I haven't used a tank of gas with the smaller tires so don't know for sure what it is now.

...I pull a 16 ft Lund Rebel Pike with a 50 behind a '96 Chev 1/2 ton 4x4 w/topper and 350 vortec. The difference in mileage from not towing is so small' date=' I don't even bother calculating. I get 13.5 MPG.

I just got 13.2 on my way up here to Gull Lake from Faribault. 02 Tahoe with a 5.3. My boat and trailer are around 3500#. I will probably get a bit worse on my way back. Stopping at Mille Lacs for a few hours, then push it faster home. Id say 11 on my way home. Depends on speed.