• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MPG towing?

portageman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting 16.8 towing a 1700 Lund Fisherman, with 135 Optimax, 9.9 Fourstroke, and roughly 15 gallons of gas. I am towing it with a 2005 F150 w/ 5.4 4x4.....Probably would do better if I kept my foot out of the gas on the truck....Which I have been doing a lot less.....and slowing down.

I am getting 16.8 towing a 1700 Lund Fisherman, with 135 Optimax, 9.9 Fourstroke, and roughly 15 gallons of gas. I am towing it with a 2005 F150 w/ 5.4 4x4.....Probably would do better if I kept my foot out of the gas on the truck....Which I have been doing a lot less.....and slowing down.
Wow! My buddy has the same truck and maybe gets 12 mpg pulling a 4-wheeler and trailer. Have you done any mods to it?

Originally Posted By: Lund4ver
Wow! My buddy has the same truck and maybe gets 12 mpg pulling a 4-wheeler and trailer. Have you done any mods to it?

Yeah, I want to know too. I barely get that in my 05 FX4 without pulling anything. What gears do you have?

I am towing an 18 Foot Lund Alaskan with a 40 4 stroke with my Dodge Ram Van. I usually get about 12 mpg without towing and about 8 or 9 towing. It could be because I am usually averaging about 70-75 mph with the cruise on. Might have to consider slowing down a tad this year, maybe make my 9 hour trip into 10 and save a few bucks.

Windy

08 F250 Crew Cab with a Power Stroke pulling a 08 2010 Lund explorer ss with a 175 merc on it getting 15.5 to 16.5 at 70 to 75mph. My motor in the truck isn't broke in yet so I would think it will go up a little .PS I also do have an Edge Kit on my truck.

08 F250 Crew Cab with a Power Stroke pulling a 08 2010 Lund explorer ss with a 175 merc on it getting 15.5 to 16.5 at 70 to 75mph. My motor in the truck isn't broke in yet so I would think it will go up a little .PS I also do have an Edge Kit on my truck.

Wow, once again I am impressed my Dad has the exact same truck with the same kit only gets 14-15 empty pulling nothing did you take off all that new emission's garbage or something?

Originally Posted By: GRAND DAD

Wow, once again I am impressed my Dad has the exact same truck with the same kit only gets 14-15 empty pulling nothing did you take off all that new emission's garbage or something?

My history with the 6.4 is 15-19 mpg, after broke in. I have asked many people!

Originally Posted By: GRAND DAD

No I haven't pulled it off but I will soon,and trust me I don't get it my self for some reason I get just as good if not better towing,But that could because I drive a lot diffrent towing I try to keep my boost leaves as low as possable.

Same truck, similar boat. I get between 12-15mpg towing the boat. Anywhere from 15-19 empty depending on gas and speed.

I honestly don't know, but the calculator doesn't lie. I have the 3.73 gears in the truck, and drove very conservatively (55 to 60 mph) the whole trip. I don't expect that all the time though.

I actually wonder if having the full cab height fiberglass topper helps some, being the boat has the full windsheild. My old F150(2002) I used to get just shy of 14 towing the boat. I will have to keep track of it more. I have gotten 18 mpg (not all the time) in the city driving to and from work, but now the truck sits in the driveway, and drive a car that is getting 31 mpg.

Grand Dad, you should really start looking into upgrading your equipment. It's starting to get a little old. smirk sheesh

02 Dakota 4.7 V8 Quad Cab 4x4 pulling a Forester 16 S.C. with 90 hp Evinrude. Get's between 14 and 15 on the hwy with the boat. Get's mid 18's on the highway after some mods (just added a taller extra overdrive gear with a software change, so I'm now shooting for 19-20) smile

I once got 8 mpg towing our 28' 5200 lb camper into a stiff headwind.

I can get 17-19 towing my 14ft with 25hp. That is with a Toyota 4Runner W/4.0L

That is freeway driving near speed limit 65-72.

Not much different than what I get without a boat behind it, 18-20.

I do believe you, but you are talking about 1 truck! I have heard responses from atleast 100 people, some say 10mpg, some 12, some 22, but most are between 15-19mpg.

05' Chevy 1/2 ton (thinking off of the top of my head that's got a 5.3 in it??), 4.10 gears (Yep a little higher) pulling a 1775 Lund Pro V with a 75 4 stroke Merc. Obviously head wind is a factor but had about a 10mph tail wind this past Sunday on the way home and had about 15.4mpg. Average I'd say would be somewhere between 13.5 and 14 mpg. This is driving around 60mph. Over 60 and she seems to drop some regardless of the wind.

I get 13-15 mpg using a Explorer 5.0 V8 pulling a 1775 Pro V. Using the cover on my boat and keeping it under 65, I can sqeeze another 1-2 mpg

Just curious what mpg people are getting while towing their boats. I am very curious in the difference pulling a 14 ft w/25hp vs a 16ft w/50 hp.

I don't think you are going to see much of a difference towing in mpgs with these 2 items. The real story here is what the trailer does to your aerodynamics. I have a 2005 Tundra and I get about 13 mpg while towing, I have checked it with a 16.5 90 hp boat, double snowmobile trailer loaded and emtpy, and a single snowmobile trailer loaded.