• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"GPS Module Not Responding" Lowrance

Hemlock

Question

I don't know the model of my Lowrance GPS off the top of my head, but I'm getting a message upon startup stating that the GPS module is not responding....Anyone know how to fix this, or what is actually wrong?

I've undone and reconnected the three connections at the back of the unit as well as a connection just before the "puck" antenna.

Anyone?

24 answers to this question

Is this a unit that has worked for you in the past or one that you just got and are hooking up for the first time? Sounds to me that your module or "puck" isn't getting power. Depending on the unit, power may need to be hooked up and run into the unit (forget off of my head which port) out to the module (to power the module). There is also seperate power feeding in to power the unit itself. I know, a little hard to explain/understand.

I ran into this on a lowrance 110c model. Basically I figured there was only one power that fed the unit (like on the 15MT units) and then the GPS all together. Wrong. Trying to go off of memory here, but I believe the cord that comes off of the module, goes to a plug that obviously plugs into whatever port (GPS I believe) on the back of the unit. This in turn has a tail that needs to be wired to power. Once again this is all off of memory and not physically being around my unit.

If the unit was wired an working fine all I can suggest is to track the above mentioned module power cable back and make sure there are good connections. If your having problems yet, you may be looking at getting a new module??

I had this happen two years ago to my lms-420. On some of the older untis, the gps puck is powered directly off the head unit, and does not have the seperate power cord that wavewacker refrances. I ended up having to send my gps puck in, and received a new one from Lowrance in less than a week. So you may want to check your model number, and check your owner manual before going too far.

If when I turn on my unit and I get this message I switch over to the Status Screen and check the voltage level. I have found that if my voltage level is below 11.8 I will get the mentioned message.

I have the LX37C. I did read somewhere that the GPS requires at least 12 volts of power to maintain a good signal.

If I have not had my battery on a charger since the last use and the voltage is low, in the 11 volts area and the GPS is not responding I will motor about until the alternator brings up the battery enough to power the GPS.

Hope this helps...

I was having this issue on the 525c df. I replaced all connections. The puck has it's own power wires running to the fuse block. Still had the same problem. Got frustrated and just left it. I recently updated the software and bounced the boat across Millacs for a day and have not had the dredded"modual not responding". Good luck..

I use to get the Module not responding on my old LMS350A and the best way I found to get it to respond was to disconnect the gps cord from the back of the unit and power up the unit and then connect the cord and it seemed like it needed that jump start to reconize the module. It was the old style module not the puck.

First off, thanks for all the help.

A couple of facts: GPS has been hooked on to this boat since maiden voyage (2003 Lund Fisherman). It's been working fine.

I wonder if Scupper isn't on to something, as it just happened this past weekend after not using the boat for about 10 days. I'll check out the voltage.

I will also try jimalm's method, as that is something I'm capable of.

If it comes down to some of the other stuff mentioned by Wavewacker and Chberry, I'll be buying my neighbor yet another case of his favorite.

Thanks again, I'll be in the boat on Sunday, so I'll try and figure it out then. Will also post model #. All I know is it's black and white GPS with chip and sonar, probably a 4.5" screen. About 5 years old. Has worked great, had this problem last year, it seems to come and go.

I am still at a loss with this "GPS Module Not Responding" message.

The volts are up (13 and change)

Tried the wire tricks, checked all connection.

Still no where close to hooking up.

Any other ideas?

I have a 522i and had similiar problems. Here's just a few things I was thinking.

1. Software Update if you haven't already.

*This cleared a few issues up with my unit losing bottom (unrelated to GPS)

2. Look in the manual about a GPS software reset.

*My unit had a similar problem and after the reset my GPS locked on successfully. I think I had unknowingly changed some GPS settings that resulted in my frustration.

If you have no luck after that I suggest searching the forums for posts related....while my unit was on the fuzz, I searched the forums and learned a great deal from other peoples problems. There seems to be quite a few posts related to Lowrance on here. Good luck.

Seems like the next thing to check is the gps antenna itself. Easiest way to test that is to hook a different unit up in place or yours, if you can find someone with a unit with the same power and antenna connections.

It is not unheard of for a gps antenna to go bad, especially one that is 5 years old.

Take your head unit and GPS receiver in to a shop to be checked. My hunch is a bad cable/cable connection. If it works and acquires satellites in the shop, then it is most likely the cable. I went through something similar with my power cable last week. I use Fish Lectronics in Columbia Heights.

I also have the same problem (lcx-27c)brand new. work fine first day (L.O.W) then then module not responding. looked on lowrances web site they show a diagrame of the cord for the module it shows which pins to check for voltage (12 + ) if you have 12 volt the on these two pins then the module is bad. I banged my head for two days checking wiring then found this.Mine had 12 volts so I am assuming its bad. Im going to the sports shop today to see if they can replace since the unit is only 2 weeks old.

Thanks for the info. I searched Lowrance's site, and they actually have a decent "self service" page where you type in your problem and you get good hits back on it.

I'm going to try a soft reset, and if need be, then a hard reset. After that and no go, it'll be in to the shop.

What do I need to do a software upgrade? The unit is on a boat way down the lake, do I physically need the unit to do this? Just don't quite get you download updates, and get them on to your gps/sonar?

You will download the software to your computer and then you will open the software up and it will want to be put on your MMC or Sd card. Once you put it on your card you will put it in your unit and when you turn it on the updates will start on there own. You must make sure that the MMC or SD card is 1 gig or less otherwise the unit will not recognize it. The hard reset did not help on my lms350a but it just might help because yours is newer and maybe it will help cause it can,t hurt.

If you don't have a reader built into your computer you wull have to get a USB style reader that the MMC or SD slides into. When you plug it into your computer it will look like a drive and your computer will assign it a drive letter.If you look in your computer and to MY COMPUTER you will see all of the drives that are assigned so when you plug in your USB it will be the next letter. The one we have looks like a thumb drive but the end pulls off and you slide the card in and in my computer it will always assign it drive letter G as it is the next letter available. I don't think the brand of card matters but for what its worth we use a Sandisk.

Hey Jim, just jumping in here to say thanks as you solved my issue. Was trying to update to 1.7.0 and I was using a 4GB SD instead of a 1GB. Got hold of a 1GB and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks again smile

jholland

Trust me I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why I could update my locator but could not upgrade my H2O till I remembered a thread about fixing some issues with H2Os and someone mentioned the size and what it will reconize and that when I checked and sure enough I was using a 2 gig so found a 1 gig and the upgrade finally took off.

I need to get my updates figured out. Need to find a computer that has a card reader...my computer is brand new, but I don't remember having that option.

If I can't find a computer with a mmc reader, then I'll get the USB adapter deal.

Still have the "GPS module not responding" but I haven't been in my boat to try the soft/hard reset.