Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
TimC

Jigging with braided line

This is the first time that I will be using a braided line. Do you guys tie your jigs directly to the braided line or do you use a mono leader? If so, why?

I use mono or copolymner for almost all my jigging, braid for almost none of my jigging. I only use braid if in deep water and/or current where I need the extra sensitivity.

If I'm jigging with braid in stained water I tie direct. In cleaner water I would go with a leader, either mono or flouro, strictly for the visibility factor.

I think it is more a case of personal preference. Some people like a mono or co-poly leader and some don't. I agree that the visibility factor come into play but though I cannot prove it I have often thought that it is NOT as important as many people think! After all, in the past people fished with lines that probably looked like rope and still caught fish?

Like the man said in very clear water I would probably tie a leader on. I happen to like tying a 6 foot piece of a good florocarbon, like Silver Thread or P Line, for the non-stretch qualities it has. I tie the florocarbon to Fireline, which I fish almost exclusively these days.

In dark or stained water it is not as important. I also agree with what was said previously about the fewer knots the less chance of disaster. So once again, I should think it would be a matter or personal preference.

I do what "gunflint" does. I use 10/4 Fireline Crystal. On the rare occassions when direct tie seems to be affecting the bite, I'll add on a 6 - 8' leader of 6# Berkley Vanish.

Tie it directly to the jig until somebody does a study and proves it effects a bite thats what I am going to do.

I have mono on one set up and fireline on the other and I use both for jigging when needed.. I cast and troll whatever it might be with the fireline too... I have been known to take walleye fishin pretty serious and have tried thing many diff ways. Personally unless you are in a tournament or something like that or in super clear water I wouldnt worry about it. If a walleye has time to sit down there examine the color scheme of the jig, inspect the angus quality of the bait, inspect the knot strength, then finally bite.. in my mind it means that walleye might not be ready to commit anyways. And if i really thought it was the directly tied jig, over the bait choice, jig color, location...etc that was effecting the bite, I would finally do what Team Otter suggests or something similar with the vanish or mono leader..

95% of my jigging is done with Power Pro or Fireline. Mostly Power Pro. I tie direct to my jigs. The waters in our area lakes are stained so I dont think it matters. I use the 3# diameter line so its nice and thin.

What color power pro do you use? I was thinking about getting yellow to help with visibility but was not sure how visible this would be underwater and if it would affect the bite?

I use the green but I have some yellow that I use in windy conditions. Even when I have a bow in my line I can watch it and see it "skip" and set the hook.

Do you get more hits/bits with the green compared to the yellow?

I cant say for sure because I use the green so much more often. Like I said I use the yellow or flame green Trilene when its windy and I need to watch my line for hits. Neither seems to effect the fishing in that type situation. Of course like I say almost all the bodies of water I fish are stained. In real clear waters I would probably put a 3' clear shocker leader on.

I know guys who use very colorful lines all the time and catch fish too. Im a firm believer in confidence baits, lines etc. If you feel good about what your using you use it more and thus catch more fish on them.

If water clarity allows it I tied directly to the jig or if im fishing in an area with alot of snags. If it is ultra clear water I use a florocarbon leader or fairly clear water I use a mono leader. I friend and I were fishing identical jigs on multiple lakes one weekend, It seemed to make a big difference in shallow water on the clearer lakes.