• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance Transducer - "Clicking" Sound normal?

fuzzyray

Question

I have a Lowrance 522C. Can someone tell me if it is normal that I am able to hear my transducer "clicking"? I can even hear it when the boat is in the water. I have been have some troubles with the depth locking in in deep or shallow water this year and now I notice that the transducer is audible. Not sure if I noticed it now because of the other issues or if it is a sign that I may have a transducer that need replacing. Any thoughts?

13 answers to this question

I guess I wouldnt say its normal to hear your transducer while your in the boat in the water. I have never had that in any of the boats I have been in.

Can you only here it when your right next to it or from in the boat?

I hear when when I am sitting in the boat. It could be normal i guess. I had just never noticed it before this year. I was hoping that it might be an indicator of a bad transducer...otherwise I have no idea what might be causing the problems with getting a depth finder lock and keeping it. i never really had any problems with that since I got the unit. Is there anything else anyone can think of to trouble shoot before I spend $70 on a new transducer? My battery seems to be holding a good charge, the GPS portion of the unit is working great. Don't think I really changed any other setting since last season.

My lowrance has locked up before and I just made sure the trasducer was aimed correctly. Also, try adjusting the sensitivity on the graph. I think sometimes when the transducers get scratched up really bad, they can start to give some erroneous depths. I did change mine once but it still acted up even after replacing it... it seemed like the sensitivity setting was what solved my probs. Give that a try before you buy a new one.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am heading out tonight. I will try playing around with the sensitivity and see if that helps at all. I noticed another thing this morning. I fired up the graph in the garage and listened to the clicking again and it was very random...fast for a while and then it would slow down the speed up again. Could anyone tell me if that is normal? Thanks again everyone!

I was able to hear the ticking noise from my friend graph. Yes it was coming from the graph not the transducer. You should only hear the transducer ticking when it is out of the water or unless you put your head in the water. I heard the ticking coming from the head of my MinnKota with universal sonar. I think in some units you hear when the sould pulse is sent from the unit. What occurs with the variable ticking when running the unit out of the water is it has trouble detecting "bottom" so the pulse rate keeps changing. When in the water, once bottom is detected it ticks at a fairly constant rate.