• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

small ID winding checks

for ice rods. Smallest I've seen on-line are 0.200 inches. I'm looking for something down to 0.17 or so.

I have a few thoughts for making my own but wouldn't mind looking at something pre-fabricated.

Any thoughts to share?

The best thing I came up with are washers for sinks. You can find them in most plumbing departments. I'll have to grab my micrometer in the morning but the smallest I found is close to 0.17.

A few ice blanks I have used fit it just snug and a few needed one or two layers of thread under them to snug them up. Heres a picture of one on a St'Croix that needed a wrap of thread under it...

208jl5.jpg

I decided that I didn't quite like the high profile of the faucet washer, so I rigged up a jig that lets me sand off the untapered portion of the washer. Just a 1/2" hole drilled into an oak board with a Forstner bit, maybe 1/2" deep. A little fine grout in the bottom of the hole, a layer of plastic wrap to prevent bonding and then set the washer to the desired depth. Let it set up, pull the washer and plastic wrap and then drop the washer back in. An orbital sander makes short work of it.