• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Foundation?

fishfarmeat

If I had a unattached garage that was poured on a slab without a block foundation could I attach the house and the garage with a three season breezeway? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I live in the country with relaxed building codes.

I wouldn't do it. I have seen too many roof lines moving around with the freeze thaw cycles. I have a buddy that purchased a house(with a foundation) that had attached 3 season porch(without a foundation) and he had water running in where the roof line moved. That is just my experience with it.

I was going to do the same,BUT my frost heave of the garage is 1&1/2-2 inches the neighbors is up to 6 inches.The only way I could think of doing it, was not to attatch to the garage but let the walls and roof float,then there is a possibility of leakage from non attached roof valleys,but a water diverter on garage roof would help,lots of maybes,like dont attach roof to roof but nail flashing on both and hope it flexes and takes frost heave???????????

Frost footings for the garage would be ideal. I'd then not go with a 3 season breezeway. I'd turn that connection into an Entryway/Mud room with frost footings as well or floor trusses. A picture would help.

If the garage frost footings are out of the question then you can't connect the house to the garage. You can still have a breezeway though. You can do it free from the house and garage. Or you could tie into the house and use a frost footing next to(not tied in)the garage. Nothing structural can touch the ground between those two points and there'll need to be enough clearance for frost. You can make a slip joint from ground to wall though.

You could tie into the garage(not the house) but you can't be sure the frost heave at the garage will be the same away from it. In fact because or the heat loss around your foundation the ground won't heave at all. So that option doesn't have a constant and I would not go with it.