• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

smallmouth activity this time of year

Dooley87

going up north in two weekends to fish smallmouth and i was just curious what the fish are up to right now. i am assuming they are post spawn, will they stay in the shallows or move out over structure? what types of presentations have been productive latley? the lake is in northwestern wisconsin and i am unsure on the water temp. it wasn't open for opener and it is a super clear lake. thanks for any advice

I have seen smallies bedded the past two days. They're spawning on Mille Lacs and the Whitefish Chain. They seem to be done on Hubert...all beds I saw today were vacant. For the most part, we are leaving them alone until they are done spawning.

Around here, the smallies relate mostly to the rocks, although you will find them in weeds, bullrushes, etc. When they're in the weeds, we get them on jigs and spinnerbaits. When they're on the rocks, we get them again on jigs, but also do really well on rapalas.

After the spawn, many move to the deeper rocks and weeds, but many stay shallow as well. I think they do plenty of moving, and where they are depends much on the day.