• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where do boats go to die?

I am considering parting out a boat I own. I am wondering where I can get rid of the hull when I'm done with it. I know in ND old boats end up in tall grass behind buildings on abandoned farmsteads. This is not possible, legal, or desireable here. Any suggestions?

I have called several salvage yard but they are only taking cars.

That is a good question. Is it a glass or aluminum boat. If it is aluminum, pressure wash that baby and bring it to a metal scrapper. You could get some pretty coin for an aluminum hull right now. Bringing it in clean isn't necessary but the scrappers will appreciate it.

And if it is fiberglass I believe DEMCON down by Shakopee will charge to take it or just about any other sanitary landfill. I also have an old fiberglass POS I need to get rid of and I know they use to take boats. What about a local transfer station such as BFI or Randy's or Waste Management let me know if you find a place and how much they charge Thanks

It is an aluminum boat. Do I have to totally gut the inside? It is a deep v boat with a walkthrough windshield. The transfer station was the only idea I had. I live in Minneapolis and have several dropoffs per year allowed. I doubt they will take a boat for no charge.

When they say "clean" they mean removal ALL the non aluminum parts, not clean as "washed"....

I agree, it might be a little work but you will get a lot of money for it at recycling yard. And if you decide not to clean it up put it in the Free section here on FM, somebody might do the job for you. I might too.

Yep, strip the non aluminum parts out and bring it in. For a deep-v boat with a walk through console, you are looking at a pretty good amount of aluminum, should be able to get 500+ for it. I'll do it if you don't want to.

I think it is an 89 Sylvan. 16 ft. The reason I am considering scrapping it is that the transom was bent out significantly 4 years back. Insurance totalled it. I was able to bend it back and lag bolt it securely in place. I have fished in this boat every summer since. On the water probably once a week. I'm comfortable fishing it but I don't feel good about putting someone else on the water with the boat in the condition it is in. Someone could replace the transom but there is also a dent on the keel.

Finally my lower unit gave out on the 70 Evinrude. I decided to get a different boat rather than spend 600 on a rebuilt lower unit and drive around in a totalled boat for 4 more years. (I'll be looking for a rebuilt lower unit anyway. I'm going to get rid of the motor once I have the new LU put on. The powerhead was totally rebuilt a few years back and the motor has been great)

I'm not sure what I'll do with the trailer yet.

Actually, tearing the whole thing apart on a Saturday sounds sorta fun.

Smashy smashy is always a good time. Best part of remodel is getting a sledge hammer and kicking butt!!! laugh

For the trailer, you could probably sell it here or on craig's list.

I think quite a few of us F.M.ers would unload our boats off our trailers and drive up to your place and take that boat off your hands, especially if its free. A boat is worth any where between $ 150.00 and $ 300.00 stripped bare. Just sold a stripped 16 ft. wide beam for scrap.

I should have known there would be interest in this issue.

It has all the elements that outdoorsmen want. Fishing, destruction, fire hot enough to melt metal, and the possibility of taking junk, recylcing it into cash, and converting into new fishing gear.

This boat could be a Phoenix rising from the ashes for me. I would not have guessed.

Now what will be the most creative way to dismantle this thing?

I think it is an 89 Sylvan. 16 ft. The reason I am considering scrapping it is that the transom was bent out significantly 4 years back. Insurance totalled it. I was able to bend it back and lag bolt it securely in place. I have fished in this boat every summer since. On the water probably once a week. I'm comfortable fishing it but I don't feel good about putting someone else on the water with the boat in the condition it is in. Someone could replace the transom but there is also a dent on the keel.

Finally my lower unit gave out on the 70 Evinrude. I decided to get a different boat rather than spend 600 on a rebuilt lower unit and drive around in a totalled boat for 4 more years. (I'll be looking for a rebuilt lower unit anyway. I'm going to get rid of the motor once I have the new LU put on. The powerhead was totally rebuilt a few years back and the motor has been great)

I'm not sure what I'll do with the trailer yet.

If ya decide to post it for free or on a forsale.I'll reply

Just a tip, not sure about all scrap yards but a few years ago I acquired up an old 14' boat that had fallen off the trailer on the freeway. Cut it up with the sawsall and took it to one of the places in north Minneapolis. They wanted to see the title before they would accept it, took a little bit of convincing - boat was from the 60's and I don't believe it ever had a title, but they did accept it. They told me that in the future any newer type boat would require a title to scrap. I would imagine with all of the copper theft going on right now that they would be much more strict about this. I would make sure to bring your paperwork with you just in case.

Ebiz is right, I forgot about it. There have been many instances of stolen boats (mainly basic 12 and 14 ft aluminum) to be sold to recyclers.

Many people leaves the little beater on the shore to be used sometimes, it didn't take long for crooks to take advantage of this.

Take title along if you want to get rid of it.

I think that the scrap yards are also collecting a picture identity from anyone bringing in scrap over a certain dollar value. I think this was a new state law last year because of the increase in scrap prices and the copper thievery.