• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Product Info

nater

Question

Hello guys, I know this isn't a fishing question but thought you might be able to help.

I am looking for a new pair of hunting boots and was wondering if you could give your guys' input on which boots are better. I am looking at either Irish Setters or Rocky's, and dont want to spend over 150. I heard tha Irish Setters are good but would like more opinions. If you guys could help that would be great!

thanks a lot!

6 answers to this question

Personally, Nater, I would recommend going with the Irish Setters. I've owned both Rocky's and those, and, unless Rocky's have improved their quality in the Goretex liners and the general durability over the last five years, I don't like Rocky's.

My Irish Setters are eight years old, have hundreds of miles on them through heavy rock, swamps, mud and gumbo, have been re-soled once and are still 100% waterproof. I also wear them ice fishing all winter long. I spent over $300 dollars on them, but I can guarantee you that they have another 2-3 years in them before I'll have to think about getting a new pair.

I think Danner makes a fine pair of boots, but I've never owned any. Whatever you do, don't skimp on footwear. Your feet are all you've got to get you through your day. Treat them well.

Just my little plug for Red Wing shoes.....quality gear.

I've owned Rocky Cornstalkers, with Bearclaw soles and I love them. I use them year round duck, deer, pheasant and lots of ice fishing. The best all around boots for me. I've had two pairs in 10 years. About 5 years for each boot until they go, but I put a ton of miles on them! The Gore Tex is the best.

LaCross makes a very good boot also. The pair I've been using for 3 years have been flawless. They are Gortex and have 800 grams of Thinsulate. It was $90 well spent at Gander Mountain. These boots are much more comfortable to me than Rocky(dont fit my feet properly). The tread has also held up well ... I could easily see another 5 years use.

Go to a surplus and get a pair of Army Boots for $15. There light with no insulation. When your feet get wet wring out your wool socks and your back in the game.
I use snow seal and its the best to water proof. Walking all day in tall grass during phesant hunting will strip your boots bare in which case is the only way I've gotten wet feet.