• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loons - First Chick.

While fishing over the weekend I came across lots of Loons but this was the only chick I saw, there were other Loons still on the nest, these parents were fairly accomodating, burned the whites a little even though I compensated some. CC welcome.

2585104762_fd34a7a4c6_o.jpg

2585104776_d67ed70ae2_o.jpg

2585104758_0e3f8340d6_o.jpg

Sweet compositions, HH. The ones with the parent(s) and chick sure give the look of pure contentment.

The first and second images appear to be oversharpened. There are distinct sharpening halos in the second one, less so in the first.

For crying out loud. If they've already had their chicks up there, they sure should have had them in the Alex area by now.

Thanks

Well, I just called one of my resort customers and they just spotted the chicks 2 days ago. They just forgot to call me. mad They figure they'll be around for a couple weeks, so I have plenty of time.I've got some serious fishing to do the next couple days. Too much to do and too little time. grin

XT, you've got a narrow window to take advantage of chicks on the parents' backs. Responsible nature shooters don't bother the chicks/parents at all the first couple days after hatching, and the parents generally throw the kids off their backs by about day 10 (not set in stone, but usually), so that leaves a fairly short time frame to get those precious shots of loons feeding chicks on the back of the other parent.

Thanks for the heads up, Steve. That means, I'd better get up there Friday, weather permitting. I understand that these loons hang around in the bay, right by the resort. Disturbing them won't even be an issue. It sounds like I'll be able to sit or lay on shore and get all the pics I want. It's going to be a busy week.

Busy is good!

When shooting loons/chicks, I use the bass boat with floor and platform and the electric trolling motor to stay close without disturbing them.

The last two years I've photographed a pair that nests 100 feet from a busy dock complex next to a resort up here. They are very used to people.

Even with that, I give them rests between shooting sessions, pulling the boat away from them after a few minutes of shooting each time, then purring in close again. You'll know they're agitated when the adults start doing their elevated wing flap, their standard distress display.

With 400mm, you have to get closer than one might think to get the nicest shots of feeding behavior. I think Friday-Sunday will be just about right for this pair, Mike.

Have fun! gringrin