• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bobber Fishing

im not gunna go against anything anymore because i havent killed one myself and i know the quick strike rig is good but i just like the single hook. thats just my preferance. i know how to handle the situation and everything so it makes me happy knowing that i havent killed a musky yet. i dont feel like arguing over it anymore cause everyone does their own ways and opinions, but i think if you are learing how to musky fish, you should learn how to properly release the fish and handle them because i think thats what most people are not aware of.

walleye just cause your fish swim away does not mean that it is gonna make it. Go up to mille and you will see that first hand with the walleyes floating every were. Also why did you start this thread if you were so set in your ways? you ask how to rig and then say your way is working. Your release skills have nothing to do with gut hooking a fish. Not trying to attack you but why would you not try it????????????????????????????????????

k whatever dude you do your thing i dont care what you say cause you have been doing the same thing from the start and i just didnt want to decribe it ok cause i mean you use quick strike rigs right....so why does it matter if we both know. i have used them and i prefer single hooks. you just feel like bugging me but thats awesome im glad you can do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!keep it up man!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
i know how to handle the situation and everything so it makes me happy knowing that i havent killed a musky yet.

People who catch muskies think when they swim away fine, they are alive and think its not killed then someone finds it dead the next day or two days later at shore or floating...so you cant guarantee on that one. But you hope for it to be alive. I've seen it before and found one. Its true but sad.

none of the ones that i have hooked have been swallowed to the point where i have to cut it, so im hoping none of them have died. im just saying to cut it instead of ripping the hook out because then chances are the fish wont live are greater if you rip it out.

Think about this... what difference would it make if the hook penetrates the stomach lining... and all that stomach acid would leak into the body cavity... slow long tormenting eventual death... so why take the huge risk when it could be easily prevented??? Maybe it hasnt happened to you... but what will you do when it DOES happen... Its what most are trying to say...

As for trading barbs with Muskiedreams is pretty much improper and unneccessary... I've met the guy... I fished with him... I've learned some from him... and hes definitely not a jerk... hes one of the most passionate Muskie hunter I've met... He knows his stuff... and I know for a fact that Muskiedreams hires guides often... He has fished with the best... He might have said something that was misinterpreted but thats not a good reason to just blow up and trade barbs with him... He doesnt post here often... because hes too busy playing catch-up with his girlfriend whos currently whupping his butt when it comes to Muskie fishing... grin

SJonesi is a well-known Muskie guide out of Mille Lacs... he knows his stuff... he has been everywhere... he learned from the best and is passing down what he has learned to others... Hes a very PLEASANT and fun guy to chat with... his advices are worth more than "free" yet he'll chat up a storm... he'll post replies on forums... its your choice to take it or not.... I know for sure I'll be fishing with him on Mille Lacs in October...

You came into this forum... and you posted a post asking everybody who views this forum for methods and type of fishing with baitfish... Of course, the answers are going to vary... Now couple of those guys are very seasoned... You will not get the same type of response that you gave from me regardless... Im very grateful for this forum... I'm very grateful for the guys that comes here daily and gives out invaluable advices no matter how many times it's been asked over and over...

Just be HAPPY that there are people who are willing to be tolerable to this kind of responses and yet still provide excellent advices and tips... All you really need to do is either take it or not, then express your gratitude... and be on your way to doing whatever you want to do...

Hooks do not necessarily dissolve in the fishes stomach easily or quickly.

Great post Rebel, you touched on all points well.

walleyeslayer18, people didn't come up with the QS rigs just for the fun of doing something different...;)

-JR

One last note to Muskydreams. I find it funny that in your first three posts you are laughing at him using a single hook and bobber set-up, and then all of a sudden you become extremely distraught at how its killing the fish. A better approach would have been to not even post those first three with the "hahahaha's" and tell him how you feel right away. You started off on a bad foot. Thats all I'm saying, and thats probably why you got the treatment you got.

P.S. If the single hook is really killing that many skis (which it very well might be), dont you think the DNR would have caught wind of it and changed something?????? Just a thought.

Agreed, I think that Walleye and Muskiedreams need to just cool down.

As far as the topic goes, I'll use both. I have trouble finding quick-strike rigs that work the way I want them to, so I'll use single hooks as well. I think if you know how to fish them, they work fine. I was at Crystal yesterday fishing off the dog, and had a textbook hookset. The fish took my bait, made a nice run, stopped, and as soon as I saw him start running again, I disengaged the free-spool, let the rod load up, and nailed him.

What happened was the fish took the bait, and ran with it. They slam the bait like that, run with it, then when it's dead, they spit it out, and swallow it head first. Since I set the hook right as the fish started swallowing, the hook was still in the fish's mouth, but it wasn't too far down. I got the fish in, a nice 35 incher, and found out he was hooked right in the bottom of the mouth, through the tongue actually.

I agree that quick-strike rigs are the way to go if you can, but I have trouble finding the right ones, and if you know how to fish single hooks, they're not the musky killers that most guys make them out to be.

I think you hit that one right on the head! thats exactly what i was gunna say cause i have caught quite a few that exact same way. i watch the bobber and wait for them to take off the second time. The biggest one i have caught off that pier was 39 inches and 19 pounds it had a belly on it! i have hooked all of mine in the mouth that exact same way that TMF described. i have used the quick strike rigs before and i just prefer the single hooks but you know thats just my opinion.

Do a search for the Chippewa Flowage Musky Study. In it they radio tagged fish that had been caught on single hook "kill" rigs. Many of the fish died within days of release, even though all swam away fine at time of release.

I have a solution. I've always HATED QS rigs because I've never found one that rigged the minnow right. Simple answer. Rig a spinner above a 6" leader. Then hook two 6" leaders to that. Hook a treble to each. Hook one hook of one treble through the lip of the sucker, the other hook of the other one somewhere around the dorsal fin. Works great, I fished suckers on Crystal like that for 30-60 minutes a piece, and they were still alive. Also got a 40" ski'!