• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bobber Fishing

If you must use live bait for muskies, PLEASE, PLEASE use a quick strike rig. They are designed for the hook to be set right away to avoid "gut hooking" the fish. Large single hook rigs are also known as "kill" rigs these days. Be careful and have fun! Steve

your right I only see muskies in my dreams will you take me out and show me how to bobber fish skillfully???? and ya I will admit it if some one showed up in my boat with a bobber on there line they would get laughed at!!! just being honest

and yes there is a skill to it. you should see some of the people that go to the pier and look at their set ups. the other day i was down there and they were there all day and caugh nothing and then my dad and i were there and caught 2 in 2 hrs. if you dont belive me i have the pictures to

Something tells me that if me and slayer18 went ski fishin at his hotspot, we would do at least as good if not better than you (muskiedreams) in the same amount of time as you would with your "far more superior and skillful method of not using a bobber. LOL". I latched into mine in the first 8 minutes the last time we were there. The last time I checked, FM isn't for criticizing fellow fishermen on their fishing techniques as long as they are 100% legal.

First off i could care less how ya fish for em its your choice and thats what matters-but the reason they say not to use live bait for muskies is Biologist found that if a sucker,cisco,ect comes in contact with thier pallet their stomaches start to release acid and if nothing is eaten that will do damage to the muskies inereds-no acid is released on artificial so no damage.

settle down guys Im not trying to be the biggest jerk on the fm just minnesota. That was a joke easy I run quick strike rigs in the fall all the time what I found kinda funny was walleye original ? never got answered then jonesi tells the guy the correct way to fish live bait in my opinion "NO DEAD FISH" and he gets told he is to worried about these fish. Now when I hear that walleye is asking how to hook his sucker I assume he is not running a quick strike. That is what makes me laugh.

this is my opinion cause my dad and i have been doing this for awhile, but why use two hooks when you can use one and still be effective. thats twice the chance that it will get caught in his stomach and possibly kill the fish i use single hooks but thats my opinion and its worked for me so im happy!

walleye the whole idea of quickstrike are to hook the fish as soon as it hits to bury the hooks in his face rather then in the fishes gut. quick strike rigs have trebels on them so you will get a better hook ups. do a google search on quick strike rigs and you will see how they work. And if you try them You will be happy with your results.

Single hooks kill muskies. I saw it happen yesterday on a metro lake. Yesterday while I was fishing I notice a boat bobber fishing. They hooked into a nice fish from a distance and they netted the fish. Cool!!!!!

So I move on. Hour later I fish through the same area and notice a mid 30" muskie belly up barely breathing. I tried to get her to swim off but no luck. Her mouth and inside of her throat was all rip up really bad.

Yep, another dead muskie because of a single hook. Every year I see a few muskies floating because of single hooks.

There have been studies done on single hooks (kill rigs) and all the muskies in the studies that were gut hook with a single hooked died.

Enough said!!

Brian

Guys,

Simply put the QS rig is the way to go. You'll hook up on more fish, and have far easier releases of the fish. That's the point that others have been looking to make, and now me as well, and not to be a preacher. It's a the best way to stack the hook-up %s in your favor and get to see a fish swim off.

Yes, still or bobber fishing is a legal and viable technique, but there's a right and "not so right" way to do it. Why not increase your odds and in turn preserve the resource...the fish? It's the way to go.

i havent killed a single musky yet with a single hook... you know why that fish dies probably because he ripped the hook right out of its guts. if its stuck you just cut the line as close to the hook as possible and the fish swims away fine. the acids from its stomach will disinigrate that hook and the fish will eb fine. thats how tough those muskies are. That guy probably ripped it right out, which is hard to hear but some people dont know how to handle that kind of situation...

"For u live bait fans go catfish style and try bullheads. I dont know if its legal but boy it works great."

The cattin' guys use Gamagatsu 8/0 circle hooks because they are an easy and quick hook-set like the QS rigs and are far better on the fish.