• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leadcore Issues

BigWadeS

Question

Hello Everyone, I am new to trolling with leadcore and have a question. When tying leadcore to your cranks what type of knot is the best? Also, is there an art to tying on with leadcore or is just take some getting use to? or should I be using a leader of power pro or something like that to tie onto the cranks?

4 answers to this question

You should run a leader between your leadcore and your bait. I usually use flouro for this but mono works good too. I guess you could use power pro or something similar although I never have.

I usually run a 15-20 foot leader although I have gone as long as 50 feet.

Before you tie your leader to your lead core, slide the sheathing back 6 inches or so and nip off the lead inside the sheathing, then use the sheathing to tie your knots. Much easier and much better knots.

I use a double uni knot too.

The trick to get a good knot between the two is to make the uni in the leader first. Pull the stripped leadcore through the knot so the lead is tight against the leader knot. Then make your uni using the empty sheathing of the leadcore.

If you don't get your knot snug against the lead, the line strength is compromised (from what I've heard.)

LB

I'd look up a willis or double willis knot and use that. That is the knot that most of the salmon guys use, much easier to tie than a uni. Tie it on the backing to the leadcore and leadcore to the leader. With mono/fluro you can probably get by with a single willis, but most suggestions use a double for powerpro/braids.