Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

How to create an @mention - Click Here   07/16/2015

You can use the @mention aspect whenever you want someone to be notified about a post or let them know you are talking about them. Type the @ symbol type in a couple "lowercase" letters pause then once the names pop-up either select or keep typing in letters to narrow down the list until you get the @mention name you are looking for. You can play a game so members can see how it works. If you want to practice or If your name has been @mentioned below you should see it in your notifications (upper right) and you then have to @mention one or two members who haven't been mentioned inthe comments section below. Let's see how long we can keep this going. Anyone who duplicates a name that has already been @mentioned loses. This is the first group to be @mentioned to get the ball rolling: @Borch @Scott K @Corey Bechtold @Matt Johnson @mrklean @eyeguy 54 @Finns @IceHawk @MarkB @Cliff Wagenbach @Wayne Ek
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny_Da_Der

Bullhead ID

I think it is black bullhead, even though it is pretty green in color. I don't think it is a yellow, because of the black chin barbels. I don't think it is a brown, because browns usually have a mottled coloration. The lighter coloration is throwing me off.

Caught in the Cannon River just upstream from Lake Byllesby.

bullhead1.jpg

bullhead2.jpg

Ya they say no bigger then 7" but they wont say anything.

I wouldnt be so quick to say "they wont say anything"...i've seen people get tickets for less.

Ya I'm just going off of my personal experiences. I normally don't get bothered when stopped. Now if you were using one way to big then ya they might mess with ya, but I've had 8 to almost 9 incher and they don't say much.

Ya I'm just going off of my personal experiences. I normally don't get bothered when stopped. Now if you were using one way to big then ya they might mess with ya, but I've had 8 to almost 9 incher and they don't say much.

Well if you have one that size, you should be eating it anyway, not using it as bait. smile

lol very true it can bite you., and I never aten a bullhead be for. Most of the time you can't find them that big. Unless you go to spring lake. Then you can find urself some giant bullheads. I'm guessing that the state record bullhead is in there just by the size of the rest.

All though I never use many bullies over 5", I think the biggest issue or when you will be checked is during transportation or right after you catch them. If DNR sees you catch fish after fish, throwing them into a bucket and if you have a 7” or bigger bully, then you will for sure get some citation.

When you are out and about fishing, you could be asked to reel up or to open the cooler/live well, but that does seem very rare, I have never heard of anyone being ask to do this or have had it done to me. How ever, I have been asked what I was doing last year by C.O. when I was catching them. He did not measure any fish, but looked at them in the bucket.

I have had to show them my bucket a few times. They just look in and see what I have and start asking how the bite is. Never have they measured the bullheads, but I also think that they are going to give you the slack of having a few over 7" in they are in the 8-9" range. Don't get me wrong I will use a nice size bullhead but I will not put my gear or anyone elses gear at risk of being taken.

Last year we had two CO's stop and check us, usual thing hello, hows the bite, can I see your licenses and then asked what is in the bucket? We said bullheads for bait, they both laughed and left...didn't even seem interested in size, although they were all in the 5" to 7" range!

My buddy was fishing in BP last night and got checked by a CO...asked what he was using, he replied bullheads, the CO then asked if he would reel up so he could see. He complied...the CO then pulled out a tape measure and measured it. Luckily for him it was under 7".

Just an FYI...THEY ARE CHECKING.