• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Question

bonefish

I recently purchased a used 17' dual counsel boat that came with a 1998 Northwoods trailer. The boat is labed as ~1650# max weight and the Northwoods trailer is rated for ~2600lb GVRW and 2100 Max load. I have a older 16' lund tiller that I am going to be selling, and this boat is sitting on a mint condidtion 2001 Shorelandr that's ~2600 GVRW, 2000# max load.

Both trailers are basically the same width and length, with the only diff. being the winch placement.

Do you see any problems with moving the winches and switching trailers? Being different brands of trailers the roller systems are different, but do I need to take anyting into consideration when going to a bigger boat on that trailer?

No, I think you'll be ok with changing trailers. Shouldn't be a big deal...

You may be a bit on the light side with either trailer with your boat - I'm guessing your 1650# max weight is w/o motor, gear, gas, etc, so you'll be close to the 2100# raiting either way.

marine_man

There are only 2 classes of trailers that don't need license (just registration sticker), and have 2 different prices.

1500lbs and 3000lbs, over this you'll need a license plate and brakes.

I would just license it as 3000lbs and be set.