Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

Should I be Happy???

77 posts in this topic

TURLOCK, Calif. — Police killed a 27-year-old man as he kicked, punched and stomped a toddler to death despite other people's attempts to stop him on a dark, country road, authorities said.

Investigators on Sunday were trying to establish the relationship between the suspect and the child they say he killed Saturday night. The Stanislaus County coroner said the boy appeared to be between 1 and 2 years old based on his size, according to county sheriff's deputy Royjindar Singh.

"It's been a long night of wondering, 'Why?' — not only for the officers and the passers-by who stopped and tried to help out, but for anyone. Why would somebody do this?" Singh said.

Singh said the coroner does not plan to confirm the identities of the suspect and victim until Monday. Because his injuries were so severe, the child will have to be identified through a blood or DNA test, he said.

The suspect had a child's car seat in the back of his four-door pickup truck. The truck caught the attention of an elderly couple at 10:13 p.m. Saturday because it was stopped in the two-lane road facing the wrong direction, Singh said.

As they got closer, the couple saw the man brutally beating the toddler behind his truck and throwing the child on the ground, according to Singh. Two or three other cars stopped, an unusual number to be passing through the remote area surrounded by a dairy, a cow pasture, a cornfield and a farmhouse, he said.

"What we got from witnesses is he was punching, slapping, kicking, stomping, shaking," Singh said. "They tried to intervene and get involved, but their efforts really didn't have an effect. The suspect was engaged in what he was doing. He just pushed them off and went back to it."

A sheriff's helicopter responding to emergency calls from the area landed in a cow pasture at 10:19 p.m. carrying a Modesto police officer who shot the man to death after he refused an order to stop beating the child, Singh said.

Paramedics tried to resuscitate the toddler, who was not breathing when they arrived. The boy was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No children within the dead boy's age range have been reported kidnapped or missing in Stanislaus County, Singh said.

The incident happened on Bradbury Road about 10 miles west of Turlock, a city located about halfway between Sacramento and Fresno.

That makes me sick. Too bad the cop killed him, I think he should have been slowing beet. I don't know how you can hurt a child, EVER!!!!!

I'm curious as to what if anything there is possible to be happy about in that story.

Tragic all around.

It's a good thing the cop killed him. With our lovely court system he probably would have said he was beat by his dad and charged with manslaughter, gotten out in 6 months and did it again. He can't hurt anyone now. grin

The whole story is a sad reminder of the rage we have in our society. I feel real sympathy for those who had to witness this and could not stop it, deeper sympathy for the officer who was forced to take someone's life. Truly very sad all the way around, and my prayers go out to the families of all involved, and to the little child who lost his life.

Absolutely disgusting, That guy would have seem the butt end of my tire iron if I were there, and there is nothing to be happy about with a story like this.

Truly a sad story all around. My hat is off to the bystanders that tried to save the child and to the officer that put the suspect down. Prayers and thoughts to all those involved.

Cliffy

Question. If I came upon this and shot the person myself (I have a permit to carry) would I be the one in trouble?

Question. If I came upon this and shot the person myself (I have a permit to carry) would I be the one in trouble?
Thats a tough one to answer. the good sameritan law gives you the right to intervein but the gun law says can not use the gun on another person unless all other options have been exhausted. I think you would be better off with the tire iron.

Like they say..."Rather be judged by 12 of my peers than carried by 6 of my friends" This "man" who was shot was nothing more than a wild pit bull. That's the difference between humans and animals we should know the difference between right and wrong.

That's the trouble with state rules (laws)... Good sameritan I believe is honored in MN. You are looking at CA. Common sense would tell you stop this guy at any cost but.... Gun laws in CA - all bets sre off. This would have been truely between the rock and a hard spot.

Over all "should I be happy?" I don't even understand the question with this post. Disterbing that's my description.

You should be given a pat on the back and sent on your way.

Originally Posted By: fishorgolf

You should be given a pat on the back and sent on your way.

Should be, my guess is you would have to go to trial though. Sad day if that's the case.

I guess I don't get why this is called "Should I be Happy?".

I'm happy I'm not the toddler, one of the witnesses or the perp who killed and then got killed.

Other than that, what a strange title for this thread. confused

Maybe he's a California tax payer?

'Bout the only good thing to come out of it is the need(or lack thereof) for a trial and lengthy warehousing of the scum.

You very well could be, it depends on the State and local laws where this is taking place.

My only guess is, should I be happy the culprit got shot by the officer..But there isn't much to be happy about there.

What I meant should I be glad a piece of scum is off the face of the earth or that the police were allowed to use their "power" to that extent. P.S. not from CA!!

Thats a good question for your instructor.

I believe, and don't quote me, that the law states that you can shoot to stop the commission of a felony. Again, don't quote me, and verify that with your instructor.

Quote:
Should I be Happy???

I would have to say NO

All I know is, one piece of scum is no longer breathing my air. One poor innocent soul is sent to heaven too soon. Nothing to be particularly happy about. To answer the other question posed. Had I been a "by stander" especially with a carry permit, I would take my chances with the jury.

A few rambling thoughts on this thread:

First off, I would rather that guy spend the rest of his life in prison and let the other prisoners enact the right form of punishment.

Secondly, the sooner you take a guy like that out of the gene pool the better.

Thirdly, I feel bad for both the child and the cop who had to take a life. I'm not a police officer but I'm sure that episode will haunt him for quite some time.

And lastly, am I the only one a little concerned that folks with conceal and carry permits don't know the law?

And lastly, am I the only one a little concerned that folks with conceal and carry permits don't know the law?

I am concerned. Do individuals need to pass any sort of written test to get the permits?