• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This time I want to get it right!

fishinchicks

I just bought a new spinning reel, and I would like to put line on correctly this time. Anyone care to give a beginner's step by step on this? What areas I am looking for are starting the line on the spool, and the correct way to wind line on the spool to reduce line twist.

Secondly, what type of line works best on spinning reels? Does it all depend on the situation and what baits are used?

I did look back using the search feature, but I don't think I would be able to reread every single post on line type!

Thanks for the help!

Ok.. here goes...

#1 Run your line trhough the rod guides, then open the bail of the reel and tie an Arbor knot to the spool.

#2 Grab a paper towel, dampen it(this is optional) and grab the line with one had using the paper towl(for tension.) Lay the line spool on the floor label up. and begin to wind. 10 turns of the reel handle.

#3 stop reeling, and lower your rod tip and check for twisting. If you get some, flip the line spool on the floor so that its label down. Crank handle 5 times and check again for twisting.

I repeat as needed.. however, its almost impossible to get it on the reel with no twist, so plan (B) is sometimes better..

Plan B... Do steps 1 and 2 but skip the check for twist.. dont worry about it... once you get to the lake, dont tie anything to the line, but let out an ultra long cast into the water at a slow troll. Re-reel in line and you are good to go.

as for what type of line, like you said, it all depends on what you are going to be doing and your own personal preferance.

One tip, you can use Reel Magic or another type of line conditioned to dampen the paper towel. You have to reapply to the paper towel after several cranks though.

Getting line on a spinning reel from the spool with out twists is a mystery I've never figured out (and I've been doing it a while). I've tried every possible way you can imagine. If I have the time, I always go with Deitz's option #2 above. The only time I don't do that is if I put line on right before a tournament.

I finally figured out a way to get the line to go on the spool without twisting. It may seem wierd, and I will probably get some looks at FBL tomorrow, but it worked great and I don't have any twist on that rod. I checked it again later that night and helped my buddy spool up and he didn't get any twist either, so far it is 100%.

Here is what I did. First off, I have a beat up junker car, not worried about scratches, dents, dings, or anything really. So I figured I gotta figure this twist game out. I came up with an idea to stick the spool label side up over the antenna on the car, and let the tension from the adhesive spinning on the base of the antenna be the friction to keep things tight. At first it was a little frustrating, cause as I would run the line through the guides and down to the spool to tie it on, the line popped off the spool and wrapped around the antenna. After I got the line tied onto the spool and ready to go, I carefully put the line back onto the spool that came off and wrapped up, and kept tension between the rod tip and the spool so it wouldn't pop back off. (This is an area you wish you had 16 arms to help with.) Once I got it all set up, I started cranking away, holding the rod tip 18-24" from the spool directly horizontal from it so the line wouldn't coil off. I checked a bunch of times through out the process and not one time did I have twist in the line. Worked great both times. The first spool was 8 lb Gamma and the second was 8 lb Trilene XL. Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you too.

Couldn't you put a pencil through the center of the line spool if you don't have a junker? You would need another person, unless you put the pencil in a bench vise. You wouldn't get quite as many goofy looks, either! grin

You could, but I have used the pencil before and it twisted up on me. I don't know why it worked for me this time, but I will keep doing it. When it stops working for me, I will come in and post up "Don't use my antenna spool trick!" grin

Pencil in a bench vice would probably accomplish the same thing though, I think it has to do with the spool being label side up rather than turned vertical like the typical pencil hold. And anyone that has done the pencil hold will tell you that you can not hold the spool horizontal on the pencil. You will bust the junk out of your knuckles and finger tips on the back of the spool.

whistle

Edit - sometimes I get wierd looks from the neighbors. They just don't understand.