• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many hours is alot?

JohnMickish

Question

The new motors will tell you the number of hours they have on them, the % at WOT and so on, but how many hours per year is considered alot? What does the average boater put on anually and what does a tourney guy put on?

12 answers to this question

Tom, I think your hours are pretty average but I was wondering what would most people consider as "alot" of hours. 10,000 hours is "alot" on a tractor engine but can a marine engine make it there? I really doubt it.

How many hours will an "average" marine engine last?

from what I have read, 1500 or so hours is getting up there on an outboard. If I run it 4 hours per day 3 days per week 20 weeks a year that would be 240 hours a year. And that is a lot of use. I would guess maybe 50 to 100 hours per year in Minnesota is more typical.

The reason I brought this up is because the wife and I are in the research stage of dropping some serious money on a 1-3 year old boat (Ranger 619-620) and have found some with over 100 hours a year average (on the big motor), and a few of those have new powerheads. Just trying to figure out what gives.

from what I have read, 1500 or so hours is getting up there on an outboard. If I run it 4 hours per day 3 days per week 20 weeks a year that would be 240 hours a year. And that is a lot of use. I would guess maybe 50 to 100 hours per year in Minnesota is more typical.

Thanks for putting it in a better prospective. That sounds about right. That make me way off on my earlier post. Id say more like 100-180 per year for me. I must have been adding in trolling motor time.

As for alot of hours on a motor, I'd say it depends on how well its maintained and driven. If it has been treated good you'll get alot of life out of it.

I'm suprised to see #'s like that on onboards per season. There must be alot of trolling with the main motor going on there. I fish 3-4 times per week from ice-out til freeze up and only have @ 110 hrs on a three year old motor with trolling probably accounting for 1/3 of that total.