Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnMickish

How many hours is alot?

13 posts in this topic

The new motors will tell you the number of hours they have on them, the % at WOT and so on, but how many hours per year is considered alot? What does the average boater put on anually and what does a tourney guy put on?

I have a Mercury 250 Verado with 748 hours since spring of 2005, and not a single problem.

Depends on how it's used I guess. Flat out running, trolling.

Lots of guys use there motor only to get there then they are fishing with an electric, or drifting, etc. Others are out there trolling around all the time.

I can't count the # of hours. I'd say an easy 400? per year. Get there with the big motor, troll with the electric most of the time.

So.....how many hours per year is alot of hours? 200, 400, 800, 1200??

I would say anything over 100 hours is alot!

Boy, I must not fish much. I was all over the state last year and also on the river alot. Total hours, 46.

Tom, I think your hours are pretty average but I was wondering what would most people consider as "alot" of hours. 10,000 hours is "alot" on a tractor engine but can a marine engine make it there? I really doubt it.

How many hours will an "average" marine engine last?

from what I have read, 1500 or so hours is getting up there on an outboard. If I run it 4 hours per day 3 days per week 20 weeks a year that would be 240 hours a year. And that is a lot of use. I would guess maybe 50 to 100 hours per year in Minnesota is more typical.

I agree. When one figures trolling time and drifting and such, the main motor does not get alot of time on average.

The reason I brought this up is because the wife and I are in the research stage of dropping some serious money on a 1-3 year old boat (Ranger 619-620) and have found some with over 100 hours a year average (on the big motor), and a few of those have new powerheads. Just trying to figure out what gives.

from what I have read, 1500 or so hours is getting up there on an outboard. If I run it 4 hours per day 3 days per week 20 weeks a year that would be 240 hours a year. And that is a lot of use. I would guess maybe 50 to 100 hours per year in Minnesota is more typical.

Thanks for putting it in a better prospective. That sounds about right. That make me way off on my earlier post. Id say more like 100-180 per year for me. I must have been adding in trolling motor time.

As for alot of hours on a motor, I'd say it depends on how well its maintained and driven. If it has been treated good you'll get alot of life out of it.

I'm suprised to see #'s like that on onboards per season. There must be alot of trolling with the main motor going on there. I fish 3-4 times per week from ice-out til freeze up and only have @ 110 hrs on a three year old motor with trolling probably accounting for 1/3 of that total.