• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Do You Guys Look For In Flathead Spots?

TMF89

I was thinking of just checking out some of my channel cat spots at night, ones that're in the side channels and such. Any other suggestions? If you're on a new river for the first time, what would you look for?

Ya, I am also a big fan of bait fish. Either locate them on the electronics or watch them leaping on the surface. I also like to see jumping fish on none bait size classification also.

I would also look for back water pools, with current in them due to the high water. I would throw in some structure/snagage as well. This was the combo for me that worked last weekend.

It still is fishing though. You can combine all of these and still get skunked.

Good luck

So I got a spot in mind that I've never fished for anything before. There's a neck down in the river, goes from 6 feet to 30 feet off a shelf. Nice back eddy, then it tails out into a fast run, and another channel joins in behind a sand bar. Should I start looking for flats in the 8-10 foot fast run, right in the middle of the hole, on the side eddy... all of the above? Or go look for some wood snags that (hopefully) are still within 100 yards of the hole?

Check out the wood.. for starters.

then start workin out the other variables.

In St. Paul there are some really good Flat spots...

Alot depends on how high the water is..... Temps and other factors.

you might have to be adaptable to dial in the bite. Keep working it and you could be rewarded with some nice ones.

Yeah I've never been flathead fishing before, ever. Was gonna go from shore but pondering going out in the canoe (don't own a boat, one-who-thinks-I-am-silly friends are scared of putting their boat on the river)

My buddy hasn't either and we're lookin to go out for the first time on Friday night.

I haven't fished the river much in St. Paul from a boat so I don't know any good spots. If anybody was willing to share an area (I like finding spots myself, its half the fun) to start in with a canoe or shore fishing, that'd be sweet! canoe_crew at hotmail dot com.

If not, guess I'll go out exploring smile Or head up to some good looking spots I know up by Taylor's Falls on the St. Croix

I would just follow LFC.

Hey Now....

I would love to be a "legend in my own mind" and be a Flat magnet... But reality has kicked me in the "arse" enough I can only offer tips and recommendations.... There are those that are much better at locating the fish than myself.

"I will state for the record...." It does not matter if your a first timer or a seasoned veteran..... You need to keep and open mind and be willing to try new tactics and locations if your not getting the action you want.... be patient and keep working it.... you will reap the rewards... "IT TAKES TIME>>>"

I'm not a big hunter but if I had to make a comparison....This is like deer hunting... You will wait.... wonder... and question if this is the spot.........

I will give you a tip.... If your live bait is not showing action on the rod, you might want to consider moving.

Good Luck.