• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano Charter Special

The_Lee

Question

I am looking for a reel to match the new Baitcasting rod I got. I have never used a bait caster before, so I have been looking at the options and the prices on them. I found one that caught my eye and thats the Shimano Charter Special Casting Reel. It has something called Levelwind and the things I have read don't tel me too much about this feature.

Has anyone used this reel if so is it any good? What exactly is the Levelwind feature for?

1 answer to this question

I currently have 14 of these reels on my charter boat, 75% of them date back into the mid '80s. I have taken them apart and lubed them, upgraded the drag washers to Carbontex washers and nothing more. They are a fantastic, durable TROLLING reel, and the lever drag is much better than a star. Levelwind is nothing more than a guide that is geared to the spool to carry the line back and forth across the spool and lay the line evenly, rather than letting it pile up in one place. My reels have caught literally tons of fish and are as good as new. You do not want this reel for casting, leverdrag reels don't cast well, they are designed for trolling, drifting and jigging bluewater style. If you are fishing this way, these are the only lever drag reels made with a levelwind, which is nice as you don't have to level the line yourself to prevent spool jamming. If you fish inland lakes this reel is not for you, look for a baitcasting type reel.