• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

***HELP*** Need another baitcaster and not sure what I want

Christopher Quast

I want to buy a baitcaster combo that is capable of throwing plastics and other light baits.

What I need to know is what type of rod do I need for this and also what type or specific reel would be the best for this use and what kind of line I should run on the reel you mention to get the best performance possible

Keep in mind that I am working with a tight wife or should I say budget. wink

First off what is your budget? Knowing this will help out on what advice people will give.

Recently I just baught me a worm setup and it was about $200. I got the Energy PT from quantum with the 7:1 ratio. The rod I got was the cabelas mag touch 6'6" medium rod. I love the setup and have done real well with it. Another real to look at is the code by quantum. I know that is my next purchase and I really like the real.

Someone may want to correct me on this, I was told though for a light rig setup or worm setup if you go with a baitcaster you want the 7:1 ratio so that you can reel up your slack quicker because of the reaction strikes when the worm hits the water.

Whatever you do decide to get have fun with it and good luck searching

As much as I can sneak by her. laugh No seriously I really don't have a clue at this time, let me put it to you this way instead. What would be the bottom dollar amount for a reel that would do this for me. Also what kind of rod would you suggest?

Is it the reel or rod or both that would give me the option of casting light baits when fishing for bass?

Its going to be a combination of rod and reel. Longer rods canhelp cast farther. So a 7' would be a good option. If you are thinking of throwing exposed hooks you can go to a Medium action rod and get a little more distance as well, but if fishing more texas rigs, a MH may be a little better for the hook sets, especially if using larger hooks(3/0 or bigger) The larger hooks usually add enough weight that casting with a MH rod will be fine.

Again budget is a pretty big factor. Generally the more you spend, the better the reel is, up to a point. Once you reach a fairly high dollar amnt, you get diminishing returns. I think the Shimano Citica is a pretty popular reel, and for good reason. Its priced fair, and performs well. And for the same reason the Shimano Compre rods. I am biased toward shimano products as I am on thier staff. But I do feel they have some of the best products in the market!

I agree with DD on this one. The citica is a great reel for its price. Got a couple and love them. I got one for texas rigs/jigs and the other for spinnerbaits and they both excel at their jobs. As for rods, the shimano compre series and clarus series are both great rods for their price as well. All my rods and reels are Shimano and I've never had an issue with anything yet!

Look at combos in Bass Pro or Cabelas. They cover the full range of "quality", and the money you save can just about mean a free rod. $100 - $125 can get you a perfectly good combo. If you just want the reel, look in the bargain cave or similar for discontinued models.

You may also want to check out gander. Im not sure if the sale is still going on, most likely it is. But they have a sale that is get one combo and get the second one half off. They had some real nice setups in the section for a very good price

I would have done a couple of things differently when I bought my first baitcaster. Bought one of those round blue Abu Garcia reels (5600 C4, I think it is). Durable, sturdy reel with all the cranking power of a winch. Only problem is I have small hands (insert joke here). In hindsight, I bought a very nice outfit, but it wasn't suited for me. Every baitcaster I have bought since has been a low-profile. These fit my hand much better and I can throw them all day without fatigue setting in. The point I am trying to make is that there are lots of nice rigs available, just make sure you pick one up that suits you.

Regards,

Double

I'm with you Sled, I buy Guide Series and have been very happy with them. Can't beat the lifetime warranty and they're very affordable.

I just paired one with a new Shimano Citica (bought it with the rebate) and have been very happy with the combo so far.

Hey guys, as far as I know, we're still doing the "Buy one get one 1/2 off" sale, but they never tell us when sales end, the earliest I can see is this weekend. But again, no idea.

Oh, and I believe our warranties are actually 2 or 3 years, but I haven't seen a customer turned away yet, so who knos.

Just like Deitz is biased towards Shimano, I'm of course biased towards Guide Series. We actually have a line of Tournament Bass rods that really are designed to cover a full range of applications. Those run around $60 I believe, maybe $70. I'd also reccomend the Guide Series Elite rods, we actually just got some baitcasting ones in that are made specifically for Jigging and Rigging. I work tomorrow, 5 to close, so feel free to stop in and I can help you out. If I remember I'll try to get some ideas and prices set up for you. I also love St. Croixs, you can get a Triumph for $70, or go up to a Premiere for $100.

As far as reels go, I'd reccomend the Guide Series Tournament baitcasters, they run $70 and are probably the cheapest 10 ball bearing reels on the market. I'd also look at the Pflueger Trions ($100), or the Purists ($80). Or the Abu Garcia Revo S ($110).

Since everyone so far as reccomended Shimanos, I'll comment on them. I never really got into Shimano, mainly because everyone has, and I like to be the guy who has the other stuff. I do have a couple Stradics and love them to death, but I never got into their baitcasters. I'd like to get a Curado 300 for muskies, but they always seemed too big for me. However I also have smaller hands, so go figure.

As far as line goes, I honestly have no idea, I actually have never seriously fished plastics for bass, so I can't say. I'm interested in hearing that too.