• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Lake Trout

SP180

If it were me I would hit some of the lakes off the Gunflint Trail, stay in a lodge and bring a sled. Another great option would be to head to Ely and meet up with Steve Foss. There are a few good lake trout lakes in the area, some in and out of the Boundary waters. Burntside has put out some pretty good numbers this past winter. Try digging back into the BWCA-Duluth-Ely-Arrowhead forum to the winter and see some of the pictures.

Depends on how hard your willing to work.

If you want a work out, go into the Boundry waters. Just to have some fun, the gunflint trail lakes, and the easy way would be Burntside. DA chise31 gave you some good advice about talking to Steve Foss. Steve's got a good handle on the lake. But remember lakers are very hard to predict and pattern.

The Gunflint trail or Ely are best options IMO. Not too many guys are going to spill the beans on this site when it comes to specifc lakes. There are lakes that are popular year to year in the Ely area and up the GFT. Pick a resort in either of these areas and they will point you in the right direction on where to go. I used to be a Mille Lacs and LOW guy but that all changed after discovering lakers. It may take you a weekend or 2 to figure it out but once you do it's a blast. If you go up the gunflint bring a sled. You might be able to get by without one in Ely.

Trout don't live in ugly places

hungryjack06001.jpg

hungryjack08164.jpg

hungryjack08162.jpg

Man I miss those days in the pics. Perfect weather for lakers by the looks of it. That's just because there is ice on the lake and snow on the ground.

Gunflint Saganaga Rose Trout are all easy targets up the Gunny. Check out the lake finder reports for the area and go from there. Find that magic, 35-55ft range and start ripping and reeling. picture0001.jpg