• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

stearn drive question

minneman

Question

I recently bought a well kept up 28 yr old 21' starcraft stearn drive boat, inline 6 chevy engine, and merc out drive.

my Q? is this, I hear a growl when turning, depending on speed and trim level, and amount of turn on the wheel. the noise isnt there when underway in a straight line at all or at a slight turn when trimed up to a cirtain position.

being an outboard owner most of my life, Im thinking that there is something wrong, but not sure, is there a U joint or the like that should be looked at? I like to know a bit about what may be wrong b4 going to a mech. thanks

6 answers to this question

Sounds like the gimbal bearing, the outdrive will have to be removed and the bearing will have to be pulled.
There should be a grease fitting on the side of the out drive you might want to give it a shot and see if that helps.
Good luck

While you have drive out check the CV joint on driveline. Both parts (CV joint and gimbal bearing) are not very expensive to replace, but you want to do it soon, since if one of the 2 goes bad....it will cost a fortune to fix, since they will destroy your outdrive, transom housing and probably some of the motor.

Gimbal bearing is around $ 40, complete upper driveshaft with u-joints approx $ 200

You'll need a new set of gaskets (approx $ 10.00) whe re-assembling.

If you want to do work by yourself (I suggest it for bearing) I can give you a place to get parts at GREAT prices.

Email me at [email protected]