• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pimpin the Porty

WTN4ICE

I put a couple of eye bolts on mine that I can strap the auger down with. Works pretty slick.

I did that too, 2 on each side, and one big U bolt on the back to hook another sled to. It worked great. (Though my porty is not pimped other than BestHonkKong lights and the foil insulation inside.)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every summer/fall I see these posts and I starting to thinking that I should pimp mine out. But then I always get back to the weight issue. I have an otther lodge and it's heavy enough the way it is. Have any of you pimped yours out only to rip it all apart again becuase of the weight? I'm sure it would be easier with a trailer but I have to get mine up into the back of a full sized truck. I'm not a small man (6'5") and it's a pain getting it up there when I'm alone.

Every summer/fall I see these posts and I starting to thinking that I should pimp mine out. But then I always get back to the weight issue. I have an otther lodge and it's heavy enough the way it is. Have any of you pimped yours out only to rip it all apart again becuase of the weight? I'm sure it would be easier with a trailer but I have to get mine up into the back of a full sized truck. I'm not a small man (6'5") and it's a pain getting it up there when I'm alone.

It made mine pretty heavy. Didn't tear it apart. Bought a trailer and a 4 wheeler instead. laugh

I have an old snowmobile to pull it around on the ice (when it's thick enough) if I need to. But if it ever snows on early ice it's a killer to pull mine by hand as it is. I think I'll resist the tempation, save the cash, and buy another ice toy.

Yeah, I have the X2 - didn't want to add too much too it, so just made a center console for bait and batteries. Might add some switches to it and such. I have bags and what have you for my gear so they fit where ever i want.

Might add an auger rack and other racks to the 4-wheeler. A task for when it cools down a bit.

Question to anyone who has done a mod.I'm at the point of putting covers on the compartments,is 1/4 plywood strong enough or is 1/2 the smarter choice. Progress has slowed due to juggling two jobs in the summer but hope to get at it this weekend.

Question to anyone who has done a mod.I'm at the point of putting covers on the compartments,is 1/4 plywood strong enough or is 1/2 the smarter choice. Progress has slowed due to juggling two jobs in the summer but hope to get at it this weekend.

I think I actually went 3/4 for the lids I was going to put the seats on. But then I got a big butt so just wanted the security. crazy I'm pretty sure you could get away with 1/2 if you have it trimmed well and it's sitting on something on all four sides. That extra 1/4 isn't goig to add a ton of weight though.

I was off today so was out looking at materials. I'll go with 1/2. The short buckets will be directly under the seats to support whoever is sitting on them.

Another question is what type of hinges to use. I'm thinking a cabinet overlay hinge should work well. Any input would be useful. I'm also thinking of painting the decking as opposed to carpet that hooks can get stuck in. Again any input is appreciated.

I'm still moving forword. Since I have spent no money to this point I decided to get some new seats.The old ones leaned too far back & interfered with opening the lids. These have a more vertical back. Not sure how the vinyl will hold up in the cold,time will tell.I am going to reuse the origninal hardware to mount the seats as putting them directly on the lids seemed too low.I need to go to the farm shop & rework the tubes. You can also see my idea for a rod holder.

003.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

I wish I would have weighed it with everything in it before I started. The lids added some noticeable weight & I plan to put the auger behind the seats.The propane tank will be mounted on the Indy that will save some weight.I pulled it out on Lizzie many,many times by good ole foot power so the Indy has made life a little easier.When it's all done I'll take it into work & put it on the big scale. I too am curious what the final weight will be.

Those are the same Tempress All-Weather Series seats Frabill uses on there shacks, just a different color scheme. They are great seats and extended -30 weather will not bother them one bit.

They are also my seats of choice for on the ice and in the boat. But mine are Black and say Frabill on the top cushion, of course wink. Love them Frabill seats too!

Have you considered putting a 12V receptacle or 2 in the top deck of that rig and wiring in a 12 V battery bellow? That way any accessory or lighting could be easily plugged in, or charger for that matter. I would line the battery area with styro too, to keep it warmer and safe from shock. Gander has them in the marine dept. Food for thought.

New marine grade LED's are the ticket over rope. Rope lighting was the deal in it's time but most low grade LED rope has flaws in cold weather.

The LED modules out now are brighter, areas focused, and last longer. A set of 4 LED marine grade 6 pack clusters will light the heck out of any portable with less draw than a series pvc rope light.

If one cluster should fail, no problem just replace it. If a link circut in a rope light series fails your pooched or you end up with a dead spot that needs to be cut out and patched. I recomend looking at the marine grade clusters if LED lighting is your plan.

I just noticed something that may, or may not, pop up as a problem for your lid style rod locker down the line.

The hanging style Berkley rod holders tend to allow rods to walk forward/backwards, and if there in no stop there they may reach the door or exceed it.

What concerns me is if it does you may snap your rod tips when you open the locker?

You may need a light aluminum channel L channel or a wood stop to act as a stop to prevent this from happening? Something you may wish to test to see if this can happen.

Opening the lid after it's maiden voyage and snap 4 rods...well that would be a real fun sucker..Eh!

Thanks LD & ED for the info on the seats.I was planning on useing two 96cm BHK led strips. I have not ordered them yet so I will look at the cluster lights first.I plan to use my smaller battery as the full size one weighs a TON.With LED lights the smaller one should last awhile.

Thanks for the heads up on the rod holder. I will take a closer look at it..broken rods would be a bummer.

I got the tubes reworked & the seats mounted this AM.Useing the original hardware puts them at a more comfortable height & allows 5 inches of travel. No more problem interfering with the lids opening.

The photos show where I would like to put the auger..this may prove to be a tight fit once the fabric is back on.Guess I'll solve that later.

So for I'm happy with the results & solving problems is half the fun.I can't wait to get it on the ice for a test run.It's actually 5 or 6 years old but has been reborn this summer.

001-1.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

008-1.jpg