• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Beeps

Sandmannd

I was out tonight and the motor would make a loud solid beep sound. I always thought this ment low oil, but my oil is full. It would only do it when I was trolling at 2.5 to 3 MPH. I would rev it up to go to a new spot and it would be fine. Then trolling after a little while it would start. If I just let it go it would go off after five or ten minutes and be fine for fifteen or twenty then do it again. Any idea what this is?

Sure would help to know what kind of motor and year. Better to post a model number. How old is the impeller. Could be an overheat siren or maybe the oil is not getting to the motor. Possible the oil res is plugged?

Motors make different beeps for different problems. If you have your owners manual look it up. It could be low oil pressure, high heat, blah, blah, blah. Check the book.

If you don't have a book there are many availiable on line. If you do a search for Mercury owners manual you will get many hits.

It sure sounds like you've got an overheat alarm - when was the last time you replaced the water pump?

Were you operating in a weedy area where you could have temporarily blocked the intake screens with weeds?

marine_man

I've never replaced the water pump. This is the second year I've had it and not sure if it was replaced before. It wan't really weedy. I had it out on Sunday and got the same thing. I think you are correct in the overheat alarm, cause I pulled the motor up and was smokin' a little. Turned it off and ran the trolling motor for a while and then it was fine.

Anyone recommend anyone to take the motor to in the cities?

Dimmerman's off of 35 in Forest Lake is a good place to go for a repair. They've been extremely helpful to me and even spent some time advising on how to replace the impeller on my very old motor. If they do the work they are fast, prices are reasonable, and they seem to be very honest in my experience.

That's a vintage sign of a bad impeller. Had the exact same symptoms on my 60 Merc. The alarm would stop if I revved it up a bit or drove above idle which pulled in enough water to cool it down. Start trolling or idling and it'd go off again. Sometimes it'd stay off for the rest of the day. It started doing it a time or two in late summer but then disappeared in the fall, which I assume was because it was drawing in enough cold water to keep the temp down. No alarms happened the next spring, but after a couple hot days into the summer the alarm came back so I pulled the impeller and it was shot. Had water coming out the tell-tale all the while, but it wasn't a very strong stream. Just not enough flow of water during the hot days to keep it below the alarm point.

That's a vintage sign of a bad impeller. Had the exact same symptoms on my 60 Merc. The alarm would stop if I revved it up a bit or drove above idle which pulled in enough water to cool it down. Start trolling or idling and it'd go off again. Sometimes it'd stay off for the rest of the day. It started doing it a time or two in late summer but then disappeared in the fall, which I assume was because it was drawing in enough cold water to keep the temp down. No alarms happened the next spring, but after a couple hot days into the summer the alarm came back so I pulled the impeller and it was shot. Had water coming out the tell-tale all the while, but it wasn't a very strong stream. Just not enough flow of water during the hot days to keep it below the alarm point.

Did you change it yourself? How hard of a job is this? It would be worth a shot if it's not all that expensive to do.

Shift into fwd gear, remove the gear case, and you will find the water pump assy on top of the gear case centered on the drive shaft. remove the housing. Theres your impeller. Shane, I'd suggest you buy a manual. Not only will it help walk you through this procedure, but will come in handy for many other things you may encounter in the future. Even how to perform routine maintanence. Heck, I bet between you, your wife and kid, you will know so much about that motor, we might not even hear from you! grin

On Merc's ( most) Beep = low oil steady sound means over heating. you may have enough oil but the cap is bad on the tank. I have gone through as many as 3 caps in 1 year. The wires break that senses the float/oil level in the tank. the wires are pretty fragile