• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishless nights

Scott K

I spent another night out with out as much as a good run. One bite in 4 outings, not good. One would think after 4 skunked outings, it would deter me, nope I cant wait to get out tonight to try to break the streak. It needs to change soon!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one #15.5 flathead in the last two outings. The weather has not helped either, I got chased off before dark last time out. The channels are still cooperating at least.

When on a skunk streak, go shore fishing.

That is what we are going to do to night. Always get something during a shore run.

Plus, on a Moores night, the good spots are always taken from other boats anyways grin

Ok I quit fishing early tonight, at 10, but we can make it 5 outings without a fish! I even tried crawler to break the streak! Worse yet, I had my minnow traps out, nothing in them, tried seining with my new net, 1 sunfish. It was a nice sunfish! But that didnt help my bait situation any. I went out with my last 4 bullies, threw 2 away when I left. O well I will be out tomorrow night to try again, If I can get bait.

Ya my buddies were out lastnight and ended up pulling in 15 at least ranging 10-29 pounds all channels. The one night I don't go and thats what happens.

Wow, where are they fishing that they're catching 29 lb channels? Is this in the metro area or somewhere up in Canada?

I got the fishless night last night, but at least we got one in the boat. It was small but still saved the skunk. Had 2 or 3 other quality runs that we couldn't connect with but thats the way it goes. The spot we were looking to fish had a boat parked there already so ended up on backup spot #1 which completely was a bust. Went to backup spot #2 (which I hadn't fished this year) and it looked amazing. This is where we missed another and lost one but we didn't get there until 1am so we totally missed primetime.

Did pretty well on Friday night but the size wasn't there, a 14lb, 12lb, and 6lb flathead. Had another 5 or 6 runs that we couldn't connect with either. Was the run and drop the bait deal, pull the hook free from the bullhead deal, or the complete break-off on hookset deal. Not too bad all things considered, I'll be back for more action at that spot.

The fishing is still good! Very good! When you find them you'll find lots of them.

I will admit, this high water is getting a little too high. There are lots of areas on the MN now where the water is out of the banks and up into the trees. Thats not good as it'll give the bait and the flatheads plenty of new territory to get out and roam which are essentially unfishable. Predicted crest is still a week away if we don't get any rain. Yeah right. She's going to keep coming up.

There is LOTS, and I mean LOTS of debris in the river now. BIG debris too. I don't know how many full size trees (rootballs to green tree tops) were floating down Friday night. Be careful and pay attention. Running at night without any spotlight is asking for disaster. I only mention that as I've seen a few boats do that this weekend. The rescue squad will be on the way if they keep that up.

I do like Ed's advice posted earlier- "Think small". And I'm not talking about the bait.

Put me on the the "keep the high water" list.

This spring has been one of the better if not the best spring yet for fishing Flats.

We boated 140lbs of fish last night with 4 fish over 20lbs!

Hmmmm.

Thats Odd.

Last night was a Doozer..... We had over 140lbs, (a personal best by 4lbs) worth of fish caught in our boat last night with one of the other boats pulling in close if not over 100lbs.

That Monkey must be be taking a shine to you and WWG.

Man it really sucks when you can't get "the" prime spot cause someone else is on it.. confused or it's had the snot pounded out of it 2 nights prior. whistle

The high water is almost done,

I will say this has been my best spring ever.

WOOT WOOT!

I can't wait till the water starts dropping. grin

Ok I quit fishing early tonight, at 10, but we can make it 5 outings without a fish! I even tried crawler to break the streak! Worse yet, I had my minnow traps out, nothing in them, tried seining with my new net, 1 sunfish. It was a nice sunfish! But that didnt help my bait situation any. I went out with my last 4 bullies, threw 2 away when I left. O well I will be out tomorrow night to try again, If I can get bait.

I have bait

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes

I have bait

So what are you saying? Do you want to go fishing? I was going to sit tonight out, but if you want to go I will go. If not I will go tomorrow night.

I was thinking about going out for a little while. The lack of catching and price of gas lately has made me less than fired up about getting out. Give me a call if you want to go.