• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Circle Hooks

The_Lee

Question

I was just reading an article about circle hooks from an old copy of Outdoor News from last year and they mentioned that circle hooks are gaining in popularity. The said the hooks are designed to not let the fish swallow them and gut hook them, but instead catch the lip of thei mouth better. Has one one used these, and if so what are your opinons? Are they worth the extra $?

The article also mentioned you have the chance of loosing more fish without a proper set, has you had these problems with these hooks?

10 answers to this question

I like them for tipups, catfish, carp, setbaits like suckers, I have even considered them for sunfish on my daughters rod. Basicaly the fish eats and swallows the bait. You dont so much "set the hook" as just give it steady preasure as the fish swims away.

The hook works its way out of the gut and into the corner of the mouth as they swim away. I dont know why, but it works.

They were designed and popularized by the salties, but if it works for the bonnie mouths fish they catch why not for us fresh water guys.

I have had good luck with them on a second rod while drifting for walleyes. The wife wants to read and not really fish so I'll set up a circle hook on a lindy and put it in the rod holder.

I use them mostly for the kids. Very few gut hooks with most in the corner of the mouth. You dont use a hook set but rather just reel up the line until you feel the fish.

How the hooks work is that when swallowed the point it turned in. As the shank comes out of the mouth the hook turns and the point catches on the corner of the mouth. Because of this if you jerk-bait the hook it pulls out of the mouth before catching the corner of the mouth.

When it's about big fish and bony jaws, then you need a hook set. Often times the initial hook point makes only skin penetration, then you have to hook set to drive the point through. When you don't do this, you can lose your fish.

I've been using them on rigs for walleyes for about 5 years. They are excellent. I use Eagle Claw rather than Gammys since Gammys are offset and will guthook more than the inline eagle Claws. I've used them with leeches and crawlers.