• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Timer sayings

hhguide

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason unknown, my Grandfather used to say this every time we hit shore again, even if it was just me in the boat with him:

"Everybody out of the bus"

"Take your shirt off so the mosquitoes stay off of me."

"Hear that bass?" (after he farts).

"They all taste the same!" (after he tosses that tiny sunny into the pail).

"Darn seagulls!" (after he splashes a little water on your head).

"What a plan! You catch the salad, I will catch the meat." (as you reel in a pile of weeds).

"Take your shirt off so the mosquitoes stay off of me."

"Hear that bass?" (after he farts).

"They all taste the same!" (after he tosses that tiny sunny into the pail).

"Darn seagulls!" (after he splashes a little water on your head).

"What a plan! You catch the salad, I will catch the meat." (as you reel in a pile of weeds).

I like those haha

"Time for a snort" (followed by the statement below)

"Where’s my Lil’Oscudy" (what he called his Lil’Oscar cooler he kept his Canadian Windsor in)

"One soldier stands alone" (as he finishes the last of the Canadian Windsor)

"If your dangling a line your fishing."

"You pert near lost that one" (as I was netting his fish)

"Two Bits on the first fish"

When out on the boat when we got bored, my grandpa used to sing the tune "In Heaven, there ain't no beer, that's why we gotta drink beer here!" It was funny cause he hadn't had a drink 20+ years and my age was in the single digits...

When I used to ask my Grandpa what was in the tin of stuff he was putting in his mouth (Kodiak) he'd show me the cover and tell me it was "the only bear that won't pinch you back"

"Good enough for the women we date"... never really got that one, other than a play on the old "Good enough for government work"?

"No use keep big mouth"

And one of my favorites if someone complained about the food - "If you don't like it, throw it on the floor"... no one ever dared to do it, though.

I think it started as "if we put all the politicians in a bag, you could reach in and grab a crook every time," but that later morphed into "if we put all the politicians in a bag, the drowning would go much quicker."

My dad once told my that he had a fast car ( for the 40's), Gramp's got into it hit the throttle and said, "When we see God I'll back her down a notch. 1 mile later it was piled up in the corn field.

My Father in law when he leaves someplace with his wife " lets go the bus is leaving"

"Fishing is good when the oak leaves are as big as a squirrels ears'

"colder than a mother in laws kiss"