• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old topic I'm sure...Sunnies & Bass in home aquarium?

Alan

I have had all of the above (northern, sunfish, bass, crappie) by far the best bang for the buck was the bass. I got one from Robinsdale Farm and Garden (no longer sell native species) when it was roughly 1 1/2 inches long, and had it in a 30 gallon tank for roughly 2 1/2 years, and it grew to a point where it was almost too big for the tank. It would eat anything I put in the tank, including a $45 algea eater that was suggested by someone else, that it wouldn't eat it....Oops my mistake.

A few words of advice, I never ran a heater in my tank, and the fish always did fine. I rarely changed the water in the tank, just made sure not to over feed. Also, I never fed the fish minnows from a bait store....They carry lots of bacteria and viruses that get into the water and kill your fish, or atleast that was my expirence. Always bought goldfish/ruby reds from a petstore, or fed nightcrawlers....On occasion, a crayfish from the lake.

When the bass finally died, it was almost 18 inches long, and I am thinking about running the same setup now for my kids to enjoy.....When we don't have the opportunity to get out fishing. You can learn a lot from the fish and how they relate to everything from light to weather.

That sounds pretty cool. I would imagine you would be fine say if your 15 year old son did this and kept fish for over 2 years. The CO isn't going to be knocking on your door and fining you or your 17 year old son.