• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two Pelicans w/ mud on their head.

These two dudes must have been rooting around in the mud for something to eat, actually saw quite a few of these when I was fishing recently and lots of them had gumbo on their noggins. Maybe they were after something besides fish.

2574908157_636c5c0a17_o.jpg

I think that if you take a closer examination you will find that although it appears to be mud, it really isn't. These are immature pelicans, or one year olds. When they reach maturity in another year, their heads will be completely filled in with beautiful white feathers, just in time for the breeding season.

Nice pic's though....good work!

Stu I believe you are correct, I did see these birds rooting around with the heads underwater and assumed this was mud - they were near cattails, but when I zoom in on the photos it certainly looks like it could the begginings of feathers. Always good to learn something you didn't know yesterday.