• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Silverado or Tundra

Hey fellas I am kind of in the market for a new truck and I am looking at my 1/2 ton options. Silverado are what I love and think I want. But I want a crew cab and I don't care for the 5.5 box. So I have been looking harder at the Tundra as result. I really like the looks and like the larger motor they offer that would be handy for tugging the boat and other stuff. Plus with the double cab I can still get a crew cab type truck and a 6.5 box. So what does everyone think.

Both great trucks in my opinion. If you decide on the Chevy get an engine with the cylinder deactivation. In my 2007 GMC Crew Cab SLT with the 5.3 I am now averaging better than 20 mpg on the highway. Around 17 in the city. I will admit that I keep it under 70 mph, let off the accelerator going down a hill etc. If fuel economy is important the Chevy is a good choice.

I had issues with the 5.5 ft box when I first bought it. However it really hadn't come into play. The fish house still fits in the back!

I would really look into the Tundra.

I just do not have all the loyalty to the domestic market any more. 10 years ago, I did and they had just as many issues as they have now.

Thats all I have to say about this grin

Silverado- hands down! Americas Truck-

5.8 ft box Crew

6.5 Ext Cab

Money stays in America.. both are made here, but money stays here. I pay me taxes here.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

BTW, aren't there some Toyotas that are literally breaking in half lately? I saw a photo of a Tacoma that had the frame completely rusted through in front of the rear tires. Apparently they are taking care of the customers and this isn't an isolated incident, but I wonder if this will become more common as these Tundras age as well? No, I'm not bashing the Toyota as all brands have their issues, but I've never seen a frame look like swiss cheese before on a fairly new vehicle and if I recall this truck was from California. Now I've seen 70's Chevy's with bodies that looked like swiss cheese, but that doesn't stop them from going down the road either! grin Just think of what that Tacoma might have looked like in MN, the king of road salt! shocked

The frame issues seem to be isolated with the Tacomas. The one I used to have is solid from one end to the other as are most of them that we see. We did have a customer in a few weeks ago that did have one with a rotted frame in the area of the left front spring mount for the rear springs. It was the first one that I have seen. She had her brother in law weld in some channeled reinforcements that almost looked like they where supposed to be there. Toyota is giving more than blue book value if the owner wishes to trade in for another.

The only two major issues that I am aware of with the Tundra is the early 5.7 litre equipped models had issues with the cams breaking. I have not heard any issues with this on the late models. There was also a problem with the tailgates de-laminating after repeated loading of equipment (ATV's, Motorcycles, snowmobiles). I am not sure if that one has been resolved. Otherwise everyone I know that have them have no complaints.

Some of the Chevy's are made in Canada, but not all. Mine's from a Michigan plant. I think the VIN starts with a 2 or a 3 (can't remember which) if it's made in a Canadian plant.

That frame deal wasnt even a recall it was an example of the commitment to their customers. It covered trucks from 1995 to 2000. At it was a very small number of trucks that were even reported.

Toyota received reports that on a small number of Tacoma frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure.

All Toyota did was extend the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation. If the truck met the criteria Toyota gave you 150% value of truck.

It is proof about Toyota that nobody stands behind their product like they do. The big 3 would have been out of bussiness years ago it they offered this type of commitment.

Good point rundrave! Toyota has done this many times in the past.

Some of the Chevy's are made in Canada, but not all. Mine's from a Michigan plant. I think the VIN starts with a 2 or a 3 (can't remember which) if it's made in a Canadian plant.

1,4, and 5 are US made

2 is Canadian made

I have a 97 Tacoma and my frame looks good to me. It has rust, but it is MN I live in. I wish it were rusted out because I'd get 1.5 times the book value no matter the condition of the truck. Then I could go get me a newer Toyota! Excellent point Rundrave, truer words were never spoken!

10 years ago, I would have gave the Domestic Vehicle manufactures the benefit of the doubt, but after the major “Customer Satisfaction” cuts I have seen in the last 3-4 years, if an issue would arise like this, the consumer would be in the dark or the manufacture would fold.

I am all for the “American Made” item, but during this tight spell, I will tighten up, just like the Domestic Manufactures have. They give the same reason’s and I give mine.

"Tighten Up"

I saw a 4wd Silverado Crew cab for about 24 in the paper this weekend. So lets say depending on how you deck it out you are gong to spend mid to upper 20's for a chevy, how much is the Toy gonna set you back?

I saw a 4wd Silverado Crew cab for about 24 in the paper this weekend. So lets say depending on how you deck it out you are gong to spend mid to upper 20's for a chevy, how much is the Toy gonna set you back?

Upfront or over the life of the truck??? wink

If you read the fine print on that Dodge warranty you will see it is a joke.I drive a Ford but have no brand loyaly. I think they are all over priced for what you get. They all should be trouble free for many many miles but NONE are.Argue all night and day about how great truck X is but it takes 2 seconds to find someone else who also has that truck and thinks it is the biggest pile of shat. Get rid of all the yuppie trucks and start building REAL TRUCKS.