• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hodgepodge of roughfish photos

leech, I was down south. I haven't tried anything north of DL, there just aren't much for numbers around here. I know the river you fish has potential for fish to move in. I may need to go on a scouting mission in the very near future.... I'll let you know what I dredge up.

Dead,

I am looking at the goldeye vs mooneye in your pictures. I am seeing two differences

1: Goldeye looks to have a yellowish eye (hence goldeye)

2: Goldeye looks to have a split fin on the fin below its tail. Is this just a coincidence or is it a rule?

Are there any other differences?

Dead,

I am looking at the goldeye vs mooneye in your pictures. I am seeing two differences

1: Goldeye looks to have a yellowish eye (hence goldeye)

2: Goldeye looks to have a split fin on the fin below its tail. Is this just a coincidence or is it a rule?

Are there any other differences?

Don't let the gold iris fool you. Yes, the goldeye have golden irises, and that's how they got their name, but mooneyes can also have gold tinted irises as well, as was the case with the fish on the Otter Tail.

The split fin is not a ID marker, that particular fish just had a split in the anal fin.

The biggest thing that distinguishes mooneye from goldeye, for me, is that the dorsal fin starts closer to the anterior (toward the head) than the anal fin on a mooneye. On a goldeye, the anal fin starts closer to the anterior than the dorsal fin.