Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DEADhead

hodgepodge of roughfish photos

7 posts in this topic

Common Carp

copxt2.jpg

Common Carp

cop2vr4.jpg

Common Carp

cop3gr8.jpg

Freshwater Drum

frdgh5.jpg

Silver Redhorse

slrai7.jpg

Golden Redhorse

glrtuberclesvi2.jpg

Mooneye

moext7.jpg

Goldeye

goedu3.jpg

Channel Catfish

ccfpw9.jpg

Very nice man. I need to get a roughfish fix in soon.

Dead, were you up this way or down south?? I'd love to get into some carp around here, but don't know where to start(HINT HINT)

leech, I was down south. I haven't tried anything north of DL, there just aren't much for numbers around here. I know the river you fish has potential for fish to move in. I may need to go on a scouting mission in the very near future.... I'll let you know what I dredge up.

Dead,

I am looking at the goldeye vs mooneye in your pictures. I am seeing two differences

1: Goldeye looks to have a yellowish eye (hence goldeye)

2: Goldeye looks to have a split fin on the fin below its tail. Is this just a coincidence or is it a rule?

Are there any other differences?

Dead,

I am looking at the goldeye vs mooneye in your pictures. I am seeing two differences

1: Goldeye looks to have a yellowish eye (hence goldeye)

2: Goldeye looks to have a split fin on the fin below its tail. Is this just a coincidence or is it a rule?

Are there any other differences?

Don't let the gold iris fool you. Yes, the goldeye have golden irises, and that's how they got their name, but mooneyes can also have gold tinted irises as well, as was the case with the fish on the Otter Tail.

The split fin is not a ID marker, that particular fish just had a split in the anal fin.

The biggest thing that distinguishes mooneye from goldeye, for me, is that the dorsal fin starts closer to the anterior (toward the head) than the anal fin on a mooneye. On a goldeye, the anal fin starts closer to the anterior than the dorsal fin.