• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power problems?

luckystiff

Question

I need some help to figure out a power problem that I've been experiencing. When I run my livewell or bilge pump with the motor shut off, it has been shorting out my 350A. Does this mean my battery is losing it's charge or could it possibly be another problem. It doesn't happen when my big motor is running, so it makes me think the battery.
Any help is appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Check all of your connections, if they are corroded it will do the same thing. Check the connections inside your fuse also, the fuse that's inside the red tube. This will get corroded after time, there are two plates that will need to be cleaned. If you take your depth finder off when done I would check the female end of your power cord, spray some wd 40 in it if it looks corroded.

[This message has been edited by Fishin'Bemidji (edited 09-05-2002).]

What do you mean it is shorting out? Are sparks flying out of it or does it just lose power. If the screen becomes scrambled it could be interference from the other accessories. It should run on as little as 10 volts which is not enough to allow the engine to turn over. If it loses power it would seem to be a loose or corroded connection as mentioned above. Good luck.

Well if its a good battery at a full charge I would check all connections like the others said. The fact that it doesnt do it when the motor is running still makes me suspect the battery. I dont remember if the 350 has a low voltage shutoff. I guess I would look at the the power connection on the back of the sounder. You could try bending one of the prongs a hair WITHOUT braking it off.
Hey KWKFSH the kayak was a big hit with all the kids. I have to stand in line to use it.

Surface Tension, Glad to here it worked out good for you. I figured it was better for it to be used than to collect dust here. You will just have to tell the kids that you just noticed a serious design flaw and they had better not use it until you check it out thoroughly!!! kwkfsh.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I have checked the connections to the battery and they seem fine, no corrosion, but I did have a bent pin about a month ago, my guess is that its causing the problem. Anyone know where you can get new pins for a 350A? Is there a store that carries them, or do I have to send the whole unit into Lowrance?
Thanks again to everyone!