• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camground recomedations please

Dooley87

i would like to plan a small trip for me and my fiance, she told me she would go camping as long as she was near running water and had access to a shower. my problem is i don't want a campsite were every 20 feet there is another site, i would like to be somewhat remote were you can not see or hear any other campers. i also own a canoe and thought it would be fun to maybe paddle, either on a small lake or stream.

i would prefer something within an hour or two of st cloud. i may be asking to much but i figured i would try.

here's my list in order of importance

running water with shower

lake or stream close

somewhat remote area (no other campers visible)

within a 1-2 hour drive of st cloud

electricity

thanks for any input

you might have to go without running water. the shower is doable. you won't find a good campground with water/electric/etc without a neighbor right on top of you!! state parks would be your best bet.

i know it was a long shot for a campsite like that, i guess i would be willing to drive further and electricity isn't a must but what is a must for her is a shower everyday and what is a must for me is remotness to a point. i have only been to a few campsites and they always seem like everybody is stacked in them like corkwood.

the list has shortened

shower/running water

somewhat remote (at least no visable nieghboors)

If it was me, I would go to Scenic State Park, north of Grand Rapids, maybe 3 hour drive from St. Cloud, but it fits the list that you requested, minus maybe the electric. The sites are spaced out and wooded, and offer that "seclusion" factor that you are looking for.

I brought my fiance there, and she fell in love with it, and always wants to go back.....Email me for some more info.

Shady Oaks in Garden City (just south of Mankato) is nice. River runs along it, sites have water and electricity (if you wish) horseshoe pits, 2 seperate playgrounds if you have kids along, rates are good. Yes, they have showers, too. They have a HSOforum, do a search for it.

This may be getting off track a bit, but thought I'd through it in. I was once given a list like that and rented a small houseboat for a couple of nights. I know you can get into the discussion on what is really camping and what isn't, but I love remote camping and enjoyed this much more than RV sites or cabin rentals. Once she got her feet wet so to speak, she loved it, and we now do BWCA trips every year, but every once in a while we "treat" ourselves to a houseboat trip. The tie up spots are usually quite a ways apart, and many times you may have an island or entire bay to yourselves. You may also bring a tag along boat or canoe with to explore further. There are 3 different outfits up at Voyageurs N.P. and a place called Timber Bay Lodge outside of Babbitt. The down side of course is you have to reserve one ahead of time, and the price can be a bit more for some of them. We went after labor day and rented a smaller one, which made it more affordable.

There is a campground near Nevis on Lake Belle Taine, that has sites that are seperated by woods. It is on an island with a bridge connecting it and the shoreline is nice and sandy so you can pull your boat up to your campsite and a lot of the campsites were on the water. I think its called Campers Paradise of something like that. Its been many, many years since I've been there. Maybe someone else knows of this place. That would only be a little over 2 hours from St. Cloud.

Nels

Yup, Campers Paradise. It is owned by the Swaggert Family. We go up at least once a summer. They have had some serious flooding in recent years (mainly the cosway going under water) but they have it under control now. I even did some sandbaggin up there probably about 5 years ago. I would HIGHLY reccomend the place. Great fishing, privacy, campsites, and WONDERFUL management. I will be up there near the end of July for a few days.