Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joeyquicksand*

where do the BIG ol BASS start getting smaller?

14 posts in this topic

Everyone knows that the big bass are down south, what I'm trying to figure out is what state do i need to drive down to to get to the ten plus pounders????? Can i look in iowa, or do i need to go to illinois? or do i need to go further than that???? what do you know?

Good Q - I'd think further south. Falcon Lake on the TX/Mexico border and Amistad to. Or Cali, FL, AL, GA, NC - you could search for each state record and decide. Best times are prolly in Feb/March when they spawn.

Very good question.. I would look at state records.. but even then, just becuase your in illinois, and their state record is bigger than 10 lbs, I would be willing to bet that your average angler will never catch a 10 lb fish. If you wanted a lagit chance at a 10 + lb fish.. Southern Cali, Florida, Georgia and Texas are your really only good chances.. even then you will have to put your time in!

I was lucky enough to spend an entire spring break fishing Stick Marsh/Farm 13 And Rodman and Toho in florida for one week.. During spawn... Fished from sun up till sun down each day.. caught a lot in the 6-8 lb range.. and then stuck a 10.lb 14 oz piggie..

a 10 plus pound fish is rare!

Good luck on your quest.

10.4, deitz, that had to be a monster pig compared to fishing here all the time huh?

Wow Deitz, I was just down in Vero Beach and scoping Stick Marsh and Farm 13. My grandma lives in Vero so I might hook up with a guide next time im down there, maybe you'll have a recommendation for me?

I also have fished stick marsh but never broke 10. A few 8's and a 9 and a lot of 5-7. If you want a legit shot I'd stick to FL, TX, and CA. Overall best odds at a 10 on one trip will most likely be a guided trip in FL using huge shiners. It's not the most glamorous way to go about it but it's gotta be the best bet. If you want a 20 go to CA wink

Here in MO. I don't remember hearing of a 10# fish being caught for a long time, if ever. Lots of 7-8 with a occasional 9. Everyone is right, head south. I would go to Amistad or Falcon in TX.

Cuba? It could be just rumor but I hear there's a pretty good shot at pulling a 20 out some of those lakes as well.

Cuba? It could be just rumor but I hear there's a pretty good shot at pulling a 20 out some of those lakes as well.

my visa wont take me to cuba.

I'm from Cali....a 10 there is normal. I can give you a few names of a few lakes in Cali that has BIG BIG basses in there. Go south or west! Tx is also a big bass state!

the lake i fish most often gave up an 11 1/2 last week. i know there are much bigger. stocked trout and florida strain largemouth, a great combo for giant bass. here in the central valley, each of the lakes seem to give up a teener or two every year. and don't forget mexico.

with all the news i hear about mexico and the drug cartels, i won't be going anywhere near mexico for a while... heck, i wont even be going to cali.

matthothand, did you get a guide there, if so who did you go through?