• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ponderosa Pine Problems

Huskie

I have these pines on the west and east side of our lot in south central mn. The winter took it's toll on them and 3 or 4 have a lot of needles turning red, one nearly completely. Can anything be done at this point to save the trees? Thanks

Were the trees like this a few weeks ago? In the metro area, we have a major problem with European sawflies, which start their life cycle as a small, inch worm with stripes along each side. They group together and eat last years needles on longer needled pine trees. They can strip a tree in a matter of days. The good news is that they are easy to kill with a mild insecticide or possibly soap and water.

If your problem is with winter stress and not the sawflies, the best chance they have is to keep them watered and apply some acidic based fertilizer. A cool, wet spring like we are having should help out.

Yup, if there is new growth about to pop out you will be fine. I'm sure it set the tree back some, but it should come back. Be careful not to overfertilize, especially near fall time. I usually fertilize once in the early spring and that's it. I have some Austrian pine on our property and the winter took it's toll on them too. Looked like one of the trees was completely killed, but there is new growth popping out.

Good info on the sawflies too. I go on walks in one of the city parks near our Metro area house. There are some Norway pines that were eaten up pretty good last year. I see it's started this year also.

I had two small pine where the worms ate ever needle in a matter of days.

I prayed them, and the trees should come back (very small). They still have there new growth...but all the other needles are gone.

Boy, it sure was nice of you to say a prayer. Most folks would just shumck them.