• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barron-Cumberland-Rice Lake-Chetek Fishing Reports for Barron County

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Thanks vman for the outstanding updates.

Much appreciated sir!!!

For everyone else feel free to ask questions orbetter yet help vman out with your own fishing reports.

I bet he would very much appreciate it and enjoy getting to know you.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let everyone know that ice is being made the last few days at a pretty good clip. All the landings have tightened right back up. Still it is not safe for vehicle traffic but walking is absolutely safe. There is a good 15 inch's of ice on the lake I was on last night and this morning. Crappie and gill action remains very strong.

Hey Vman,

New to this site and really glad I found it. My friends and I are heading up to Barron County the first week in June, to do some fishing and wonder if we could get some basic advice on tactics/patterns. We'll be at Silver Lake primarily but may consider another lake if nothing is going on there.

Appreciate any advice from Vman or anyone else.

Tks

Silver lake has some decent smallmouth fishing and crappie can be good. The walleye fishing isn't what it used to be, but there are some in the lake. The water quality has gone down over the years. Too many people feel a need to cut down all the natural vegetation and fertilize right to the lake. Don't get me wrong, it is still a very nice lake, just not what it used to be.

I live only a few minutes away and they did pretty good on eyes and nice gills this winter and last spring. Trolling in the spring with a crawler rig works pretty good along the deep breaks. Gills are hit and miss and you;ll have to do some searching for them. Slip bobber with small leech's works the best.

I haven't fished it for a while, but have a good friend that lives on the lake. I do most of my fishing over in the Birchwood area as we have a cabin there. Been thinking about hitting Silver again this spring though.

We were out on Long Lake this morning and caught some crappies. They weren't real big (9 to 12 inches) but they bit pretty fast for a while then shut off. Found them in a shallow bay in around 8 feet of water. Also caught 4 LM bass the biggest being around 4 pounds.

Quite a few boats out there and saw quite a few heading up into Mud Lake. We were on Mud Wednesday and caught a dozen crappies about the same size as the ones we got today.

Good luck tomorrow everyone!!!

Hey guys sorry for the lack of reply. Been travelling crazy (work not fishing !) .

Thanks for the advice. As for what we're targeting...well, we just wanna catch fish at this point. I'm primarily a bass fisherman and live in largemouth territory but would love to catch some smallies. Also wouldn't mind catching some eyes. Not sure what will be good in 4 weeks but...open to suggestions (on Silver) and thanks for the advice so far.

Walleye: Walleye action is fair to good, and as expected, the low-light conditions of early morning and late afternoon/evening are producing the best success. Look for weeds, rock, and wood in 8-30 feet of water, depending on the lake. Fish are scattered, and it’s worth checking any weeds or structure, as well as very shallow water. Pat at Happy Hooker says if you are starting to catch perch, you’re probably fishing the right area. Fatheads and leeches are currently best, but anglers are also catching fish on crawlers, walleye suckers, plastics, Rapalas, and crankbaits. Use live bait on plain hooks, jigs, and harnesses.

Northern: Northern action continues to be a good to very good all-day bite. Fish shallow weeds and weed beds, shorelines, and shallow bays, though you will catch fish in 5-18 feet of water. Northern suckers are working best, but spinners, spoons, spinner and buzz baits are also producing action for anglers pursuing pike.

Bass: Northern Zone bass season is catch and release only until June 20. Rule changes put into effect just before the opener (and as a result are NOT in the printed fishing regulations pamphlet) removed barbless hook and artificial lure restrictions.

Crappie: Crappie spawning should occur any time. Action is inconsistent – cool and windy fronts keep the fish moving in an out – but anglers working warmer, shallow water bays on mild and sunny days are doing quite well. Fish depths from very shallow down to about 10 feet, and look for cribs or structure. The old standbys of crappie minnows and plastics are working best, but don’t overlook fatheads, leeches, crawlers, worms, waxies, plastics, and small spinners. Best action seems to be on baits fished under bobbers, but be willing to try other presentations.

Bluegill: Bluegill fishing is fair to very good on most water. You will find them in very shallow in warm bays, but also down to 15 feet or more, particularly the larger fish. Waxies, worms, crawlers, leeches, and plastics are all catching fish.

Thanks Vman,

Great info. We still plan on coming up 6/3-7 and my friend heard that lake level at Silver was very low. It got us thinking about trying Beaver Dam Lake. Is the lake level info accurate and if so is it area wide? Would seem to make sense it would be although I know some reservoir lakes vary greatly.

Appreciate all the good advice.

Muskies: As the water temperatures on local lakes are heating up, so is musky action. You will find some fish in shallow water, while some are now residing in their “summer residences” on points, bars, and the edge of weedlines. Bucktails, spinners, and surface baits are working best, with crankbaits, Bull Dawgs, and suckers also catching fish. At this time, small to medium size baits appear to be more productive than large baits.

Walleye: Walleye action is inconsistent, but improving, and early morning and evening hours are best. The mayfly hatch is starting on some lakes, providing a significant source of natural food ... and limiting fishing success. Walleye are scattered from 8-25 feet and deeper. Look for main lake bars, weed edges, cribs, rock, wood, and brush. Leeches and crawlers are the most effective live baits on most lakes, though jigs with walleye suckers are working on other lakes. Casting or trolling crank and stick baits are also producing some nice fish.

Northern: With water temperatures warming, northern pike are moving to somewhat deeper water. Look for them in 4-18 feet of water on weed lines, weed edges, and bars, and wherever panfish are spawning. Northern suckers are always a good choice, but if pike are in the area, spinnerbaits, spoons, crank and surface baits will also get their attention.

Bass: The Northern Zone bass season changes from catch and release to daily bag limits this Saturday, June 20. Roller coaster water temperatures keep the bass moving, but action is very good. Plastic frogs/surface baits, spoons, and scented plastics are working best.

Crappie: Crappie action is fairly good, with early morning and late afternoon hours best. The fish are post-spawn, scattering, and moving to summer holding areas. Look for fish suspending, near weedlines, along the edges of shallow weeds, and cribs, and even working the surface. Use crappie minnows, waxies, leeches, plastics, tube jigs, and topwaters. Once you locate the crappies, a bobber will hold the bait in front of their nose until they just can’t stand it. At least, that’s the theory.

Bluegill: Bluegill spawning should start this week. Look for their beds in shallow, sandy areas, but some will be slightly deeper and along breaklines out to about 10 feet. Fished with or without a bobber, your bait options are open. For live bait, it’s waxies, worms, and small leeches on plain hooks, small jigs, and ice jigs. Artificials include plastics, small spinners, topwaters, poppers, flies, and Berkley Gulp! panfish baits

Well I've snuck out to Red Cedar 4 times in as many weeks. There is certainly a tremendous population of walleyes!!! I've fished about 35 hours total and average over a walleye an hour. Most fish were between 14-18", with only one legal one out of the bunch. So if you're looking for a meal go elsewhere, but for some action give it a try smile I've been doing well with 1-2oz bottom bouncers and various spinner rigs with leeches and crawlers. Most fish have been caught in 7-25 FOW. I also catch a bonus smallie now and then, man they are fun! My fiance also caught her first smallmouth ever and first open-water walleye yesterday smile

Heres a couple pics of the nicest I've caught out there

100_2016.jpg

100_1847.jpg

Muskies:

A week ago musky fishing overall was very good, but a cold front late in the week slowed the action. The muskies have yet to show a definite pattern, though most anglers report good numbers of sightings and follows. Give the shallows a good workout, cover deep weeds, points, bars, and humps, and look for suspending fish. The recommendations on bait size – large, medium, or small – depends on your source. Probably a good idea to take some in each category. Bucktails, jerk, glide, and spinner baits, Bull Dawgs, plastics, and topwaters are the top choices. Generally speaking, slow retrieves seem to be getting the most attention, but it’s nearly always a good idea to vary presentations.

Walleye:

Walleye action, most recently fair and inconsistent at best, appears to be improving. During daylight hours, concentrate on deeper water (14-30+ feet) weed lines and weed beds, cribs, and transition areas. In low light and evening hours, work shallower weed lines, bars, points, and flats in 4-18 feet of water. Productive bait choices are limited to leeches and crawlers, with some interest in minnows. Use the leeches and crawlers under slip bobbers or on harnesses (trolled or drifted) and minnows on jigs. Crankbaits, trolled or cast in the evening, are also taking fish.

Northern:

Northern pike action is almost always very good, though every now and then they seem to go into a funk. Guide Steve Genson at Pastika’s say you will find more large pike in the shallows this year due to cool water temps. Fish thick weeds – shallow or deep – and any holes in those weeds. Jerk, crank, stick, buzz, and spinner baits, spoons, and sucker minnows under a bobber will all catch pike. Nelson at Hayward bait says they will hit anything: “Dead or alive, if you can move it, they will hit it.”

Largemouth Bass:

Bass fishing is good and consistent, though the cold fronts do have a negative effect on activity. You can find fast action for smaller fish in the heavy weed cover, lily pads and brush, but the large bass are holding along deeper weed lines. Just about any structure offering protection can hold largemouth, and if they are on the feed, just about any bait or lure will gain their interest. For artificials, try spinner, crank, and stick baits, jigs, soft plastics, and weedless worms. Leeches, crawlers, and minnows are the ticket in live bait.

Smallmouth Bass:

Smallmouth action is also fairly consistent and anglers are catching some very nice fish. Target wood, weeds, brush, deeper structure and rocks, in depths ranging from 4-25 feet. Spinner and crank baits, jigs, plastics, tubes, plastic worms, crawlers, minnows, and leeches under slip bobbers will all catch fish. Slow presentations (for most species) seems to be key at this time.

Crappie:

Crappie action is fair to good. They are somewhat scattered, from shallow to deep. Work shallow (4-10 feet) to deeper weedlines, bogs, wood, cribs and structure, as well as watch for suspending fish. Crappie minnows, waxies, crawlers, panfish leeches are the top choices for live bait, and Beetle Spins, plastics, and tube jigs for artificials. If the crappies are finicky, switching to lighter line and baits can sometimes make a huge difference in your success.

Bluegill:

Bluegill fishing is good, though locating bigger ‘gills – holding near deeper water weeds and structure – can be difficult. Otherwise, work shallow shorelines, weed beds, cribs and structure. Waxies, small plastics, worms, leaf worms, crawlers, panfish leeches, and minnows are all effective baits, and topwaters are producing good action, too. Pat at Happy Hooker says once anglers find the fish they should be prepared to move with them.

Action has been mostly slow as of late. The feeding windows seem to be very small, but you can do quite well during those windows. Fish have been in well shaded areas with all this sun (docks with weeds, or deep weeds and weedlines, and lilly pads).

I was on Beaver Dam lake last weekend - Labor Day. It was very inconsistent for me. Saturday AM - only a few small pike. Sunday the action was hot - we caught quite a few pike between 7:30-8:30 AM. Monday AM - one hammerhandle. Very up and down. We were casting from about 18-20 feet in towards the weed edge. It seemed the only thing that was hitting for us was the Mepps spinners. We caught only one bass and we tryed shallows, weeds and 10-12 feet weed edges - where did all the bass go? The water temp was in the high 60s.

fishing was slow for larger game fish for me as well. Labor day weekend brought a full moon and we did really well on the panfish by following the astro tables... wierd.

8-12 ft on the weedline with crawlers.