• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Concrete Cracks

The Grebe

I figured I'd put this out there and find some people in the know about what steps, if any, to take.

Had a sidewalk put in at our daughters house last year...it had a one year guarentee on it. About 2 days after the guarentee was up, we noticed a small crack running side to side.

Is there anything I can put on it that will slow down the expansion, any kind of epoxy, silcone, or whatever?

I know that Menards has some sealer that can be rolled on, I talked to the installer and that is what he recommended, just checking to see if there is anything else I could use. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yup he did...I've seen other work the guy did and he does a good job. Just unfortunate about the walk cracking a little over a year later.

I guess i'll just monitor it and hope it doesn't get any worse for awhile. I guess that I could at a later date, have him cut that secvtion out and put in another section, but then I would think one would run the risk of having different colored sections?

Ah well, kay sara, sara, I guess we'll have to learn to live with it. Thanks guys.

That's too bad this happened, although eventually your probably going to have more. Anyway onto the problem, first the crack was probably there prior to the warranty expiring, it just didn't show all the way through, if you do end up taking the panel out and replacing it theres two things that come to my mind, one you already mentioned the possibility of the two slabs not matching in color, the other thing that I would say negatively about this idea is that you will end up having a small piece with nothing holding it together so to speak, which over time could make for easier settling and sinking if it's on poor grade. If you really wanted to seal it, the right way to go about this is to first saw the crack with a concrete saw, blow the dust out and apply the silicone caulk, from the sounds of it, I honestly wouldn't do it. In fact the sidewalk at my mother's home had the same thing happen. If the cracks widen in a few years I might consider sawing and sealing. But cosmetically these don't look to great. Just my two cents