• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain Gear

caughtacase73

I have been looking for a good pair of rain pants / bibs with out spending over $100. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any substitute for goretex? Has anyone had any experience with stearns brand rain gear? Thanks for any information.

I would try some Gander Mt. H2O bibs. I think I paid like $85 for mine on sale. Dont get Frog Toggs they wont last.

I also like if the bibs have a long leg zipper so I can get them on and off with my boots on.

if money wasnt a option, what would everyone run and get!!

Something Goretex. Something like Cabelas Guide Wear or Bass Pros line. I think they call it 100mph stuff or something. I have a Goretex LUND suit and its a very nice outfit.

My Arctic Armor is great on those cool rainy days.

If I had the funds I would get 2 sets. 1 Guidewear non-insulated and the other 1 Guidewear insulated.

I am looking at the Gander H20 bibs that northlander mentioned and I like the way they fit and material.

I would not get the Guide Series H2O. They will last about one year and then leak like you jumped in the lake. I just returned a pair for store credit and bought myself a set of the Guide Series Pro Staff ($400), which supposidely is the same as the Bass Pro 100 mph gear.

Cabela's Gortex Guidewear would be my first choice, but when you have $300 in Gander Gift Cards, I really only had one choice.

I started out with the cheap Stearns green stuff and got sick and tired of the stuff going bad every year so I tried the Dry Plus from Cabela's and it was great for about 3 years and then the crotch started to leak. My brother had the Cabela's guide wear for something like 7 years and swore by it so I broke down and bit the bullet and have NEVER regretted spending the money. If it even looks like I might get splashed on I put them on to stay dry for the ride ( I run a tiller )Each year the overall cost keeps going down cause I did not have to buy another new set so in the long run just look at it like a investment of sorts.

its gonna be hard to find a good set of gear under $100. Dont get anything that looks made of rubber or plastic. And my personal opinion would be not to buy from hsolist or hsolist. I just see it as people being shady and u dont end up getting wut u think u r. if it were my call i would just say to bight the bullet and pay up to get Roach Wear from Bass Pro.

And my personal opinion would be not to buy from hsolist or hsolist. I just see it as people being shady and u dont end up getting wut u think u r.

I buy and sell on these all the time and have very little bad experiences. I think I've had two on hsolist and non on Craig's List. With Craig's, you get to go look at the stuff, try it on and inspect it to make sure it's what you want. I got my rain gear from there, $300 new for $100 because the guy got too big for it. Not saying you are always going to find what you are looking for, but if you aren't in a hurry you can and save some big bucks. Garage sales are another great place I find all kinds of used stuff. I wouldn't have the fishing/hunting gear I have and my kid wouldn't have the amount of toys/clothes she has if I wasn't "Thrifty" enough to go out and hunt down bargans.

I also have the Gander Pro Staff Series and love it! It is the same as the Bass Pro 100mph series. The Gore Tex will work when it's hot or cold out and keep out the wind and rain. I've had it for a year now and no problems at all. Highly recommended! And regardless of what brand you get, get something nice. There is nothing that will ruin your day faster than being wet and cold. You're done...there's no way around it and your body will make up it's mind for you.

I would try some Gander Mt. H2O bibs. I think I paid like $85 for mine on sale. Dont get Frog Toggs they wont last.

I also like if the bibs have a long leg zipper so I can get them on and off with my boots on.

I have had mine for 3 years now and they are still completely dry. The color fades after a while but I don't care about color and they are relatively cheap...

Happy buying!

Ryan

I've got 2 pairs of Helly Hansen Bibs, one for work which get beat up pretty good but still hold up and the other for recreation and there the best i've ever used for both cold and warm weather, i got lucky and saw them on sale at Gander a few years back for around $20 apiece

Hey bunt2k: By 'one step up,' do you mean the Frogg Toggs Pro Action Suit? It was half price at Cabela's, so I picked up a set.

It must work perfectly, because we just got back from 3 days on the Superior Hiking Trail and even with a forecast of 30-50% chance of showers and tstorms every day, all I did was carry it around... never needed to unpack it. cool

Without a doubt the best rain gear on the market today is Cabella’s Guidewear series. Purchased my first set in 1993 and still wear it during the summer. Last year I purchased the insulated version of the same rain gear and now use it during the fall and the winter. As Jim stated above, the cost per year keeps going down. I suspect that the average fisherman will never have to buy another set…..