• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

injured nuthatch

ssaamm

This is my first time posting in this forum, but I have checked out the amazing photography from time to time. Had an interesting happening tonight. My five year old found an injured nuthatck-- damaged wing-- that promptly jumped up and landed on his shoe. My son was impressed and wanted to help. I have a dilemma now. We put the bird in a box with newspaper, bird seed from out feeders, water, and a couple of waxies. I think that I should just let Darwin's survival of the fittest take it from here. Should I let the bird go in the AM? I'll tell him that it got better and flew away? Or, is there any reason to think that we could nurse it back to health? I know this is strange question. Any thoughts would help. Thanks

Much as I would hate to have to make that decesion I think that letting it go in the morning would be best. The longer it is there the more attached your son will get to it and then it will really be hard. It is a wild animal and may not survive in the shoe box any way and then that would be harder for your son as well. just my .02 Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

There is a wildlife rehab center in Roseville that will take him. Wish I could remember the name, but I believe it is on Rice Street a couple miles north of hwy 36. Shouldn't take too much exploring to find out. I see you are out of the cities a ways, maybe there is something similar in your area?