• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New golden retriever pup

dakotakid31

Wife is looking at getting another GR and she found an add and called on it. All kinds of certs and health cert and hunting lines so they sound good but since i have no clue on what to pay for one i thought i would ask if it sounds like a good price-$600 for a male. Any thoughts?

1st off I wouldn't consider a retriever breed with less than two generations on bothe the sire and dam's side of OFA good or excellent hips, OFA elbows normal and CERF on the eyes. That is the minimum threshold for clearances of inherited disorders in a puppy in my book. Also a written guarantee signed by you and the breeder of at least 30 months and preferably 36 months for inherited disorders.

And if you still want confirmation on the puppies, ask for references from previous litters. How old is the dam and the sire... if under 24 months I would look elsewhere. How many litters has the dam had? Ask questions of the breeder, use your best judgement and you should find a good litter.

Good Luck!

Ken

It depends a lot on what titles are in the bloodline and like Labs said make sure you have OFA hips, elbows and CERF eyes at least a few generations back. Price sounds to me like the Sire should have a SH or MH hunt Test title or be very strong in some Field Trial lines.

(Note from Admin: please read forum policy before posting again)

Good luck finding your new puppy.

If you have a copy of the pedigree I woudl be able to tell you how well breed the litter is or if they have a HSOforum I would be happy to look at it for you.

I sent you a email back dakota.

Ole54868, I am in line to get a golden retriever pup from Frisbie kennels of Waverly, MN. Do their dogs meet the standards you speak of? I'm not sure if they have a HSOforum.

The Frisbie lines are very well known and respected throughout the field trial circuit. They should meet all the credentials of puppy purchasing as they have been around a very long time. They were activiley campaigning their dogs in the late 80s and early 90s when I was and had much success with their dogs.

They did tend to be a little smaller and athletic than your 'typical' golden... at least the ones I saw. An old trial friend of mine had 2 Frisbee dogs in the 90's and they were excellent field dogs. I also knew a gal from WI who ran Frisbee dogs in hunt tests and had her dogs to the Master level...

Good Luck!

Ken