• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So how long is too long?

Bullwinkle

So last week I was going through my plastics getting ready for a tournament and I was amazed at all the stuff I have sitting around. I have bags and bags of plastics that I haven't used in years. I opened them up and they still are firm (not gooey) but have definately aquired a stronger plastic scent. My question to all of you is .... how long do all of you keep your plastics before throwing them away?

5 years???? I have stuff that is 10 or more old.. chemically, they are fine!!! Mike, use them or sell them on hsolist or here! They are fine and will work fine! Beyond Mr.Twister, and berkley making biodegradable stuff, all other plastics are still made the same way they were 20 years ago.. If some are bent, put them in boiling water for about 5 secconds and then pull them out and lay them straight on a sheet of pater towel.

Seriously, I made about $200 at my wifes garage sale last year selling plastics(and thats at grage sale prices) I wouldnt use again.. One mans treasure is anothers gold mine!

Dietz, you bring up a good point. There is always going to be those bags that a guy will have for years that you never knew you had them, or knew you had them and just never wanted to use them. I have been there before where i have had alot of baits that just didnt do anything for me. Dont need them, sell them, and get the stuff that you like to use the most, or something new on the block.

Good Luck

Here's another idea. I hate selling at garage sales just because it's a pain. I like selling over the net (hsolist, or message boards) but it can also be a pain for small things such as tackle.

Do you know a kid that loves to fish? Or an organization that does youth events? Donate it to them. Do you remember as a kid going through your fathers tackle box, or an older brothers'? Even the used stuff was pretty awesome to you then.

A 15 year old friend of mine will be heading back to Rochester and coming to stay with me on Sat night. He lost his mom (my co-worker) a few years ago from cancer. Each summer he comes back from WI to spend a month in Rochester with friends. I try and take him fishing as many times as I can and also try and give him all the stuff that I don't use any longer.

If you're on a budget and can really use the money, by all means, sell it and try and recoup some money back to use on new fishing stuff. But if you can afford it, give it to the youth. The usually think it is the coolest thing in the world. They might also catch some toads on that stuff, and force you to buy some more of it for yourseld (happened to me!). ha ha

Chuck

I have Berkley Powerbaits, that were purchased in 100 count bags,from 15 years ago! The baits still have the same old powerbait smell to them,as long as the bags I transfered them too were/are sealed.I still have Fliptail worms, and Mann's Jelly worms, I bought 25 years ago.They are just as good today as when I bought them.