• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you like your co-pilot?

LwnmwnMan2

This is not a thread on whether or not you should be taking your wife / spouse / gf / bf / bff or whoever with you in the boat.

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that had the co-pilot for their trolling motor, and hated it. Got rid of it before the 2nd or 3rd time out???

I've had my AP for about a month & I find it very handy. Set the direction & speed & concentrate on fishing & watching the depthfider for info & not constantly adjusting the direction. I haven't looked into the benefits of the CP. Any ideas? L2f

Funny story,

Boat launch was busy on opener and a guy instead of leaving his boat tied to the dock, he used his co-pilot and motored his boat out a ways then went to park his truck. When he got back there was a guy swimming to his boat in high 40 degree water! Once the guy got in, he used his co-pilot and brought him back to shore. Pretty funny, thought I would share.

I love the auto pilot feature. As fish4ever stated you can just set the direction along a shoreline and the speed. Then you can focus on the depth and casting. It's a hands free way of driving the boat. I would definately buy another if mine died.

I already have the autopilot. In a larger boat, waves and wind can sometimes send you off your course, and I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $150 to have fingertip control, rather than have to use the foot pedal.

Bass - I BELIEVE it's wireless fingertip control for your trolling motor.

I just added the CP this year to my AP.

I love it. It beeps for each increment in speed with distinct on and off sounds. Just soo much easier than trying to get back to the foot pedal. I strap mine to my belt loop.

No regrets. Money well spent (for a change)

Have had mine about 5 years and wouldn't be without it. And I believe it will work on any minnkota with a footpedal. It just plugs inline of the pedal so you can use both units without unhooking and hookong stuff up. Only thing is that the pedal overides the copilot when you step on it.

I think there is 2 different versions of the co-pilot. You just have to look at which one's work with which motors.

I love my co-pilot. I used to dread pulling out the trolling motor just because I don't like the cord running all over the boat and I never got good at the foot pedal.

My Dad was amazed. He didn't know what the heck I was doing with this little remote. He looked at the remote in my hand and said what are you doing with your car keys (thinking it was the remote from my truck)

Funny story,

Boat launch was busy on opener and a guy instead of leaving his boat tied to the dock, he used his co-pilot and motored his boat out a ways then went to park his truck. When he got back there was a guy swimming to his boat in high 40 degree water! Once the guy got in, he used his co-pilot and brought him back to shore. Pretty funny, thought I would share.

Ok, I missed something on this one. My co-pilot only has a range of about 25 feet. How far did this guys supposedly "drive" his boat out with co-pilot?

Whats the range on everyone elses co-pilot?

So this can be added to any trolling motor? I have a minkota 24v??

You should be able to add it to any minnkota motor.

This is my third year with one and I won't fish without it. It's awesome. I found mine on hsolist for $99 new so look around and you will find deals. Once you use it, you won't wanna go without.

I got my co-pilot right when I got the new boat two years ago. I have never even hooked up the foot pedal for the trolling motor. I only use the co-pilot and I love it.

I am not sure what the full range is for my remote but I have walked away from the boat by about 150' and it still worked. If you can only get 25', you may need to change the battery in the remote.

On my dad's boat he has both co-pilot and auto-pilot, love both of them, and have not had any problems with either.

I was going to put a minn kota with AP and CP on my grandpa/my boat, but Valv gave me a good deal on a Mototguide wireless. It has a wireless foot pedal and a wireless remote similar to the CP, but on a retractable lanyard like one for ID badges. I do like how you can mount the remote on your rod for the CP.

PS. Finally got the trolling motor on for my memorial weekend trip to winnie. Works great. Thanks Valv.

This is not a thread on whether or not you should be taking your wife / spouse / gf / bf / bff or whoever with you in the boat.

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that had the co-pilot for their trolling motor, and hated it. Got rid of it before the 2nd or 3rd time out???

I have both the co-pilot and auto-pilot and they rock! We will be adding to my dads boat now!

I don't particularly like the remote for casting like we do for musky and bass because you have to change directions mid-cast whenever the wind picks up or anything which basically makes your cast useless. If anyone fished musky here they know if you have to stop your lure midway through your retrieve 90% of the time the fish will not strike. The thing I do like about it is the old wired foot pedal sucked and was not accurate at all when it came to steering but the new wireless one is awesome! We just got ours in for our Canada trip on a week and the best part is that now we can both control the boat. I can have the remote and my dad can have the foot pedal or vise versa. This way if someone gets a fish on or the boat starts going off course midway through a cast the guy in the back of the boat can fix it too. Good luck with your purchase...

Sorry for Rambling

Ryan

We have it on our boat at the cabin. We dont fish for muskies and rarley cast for anything. Lindy rigging is king there and also vert jigging. That said, I love it. I like being able to walk to the back of the boat for a minnow and still be able to control the boat. Or even sit at the steering wheel and watch the GPS\color sonar and steer from there. You're right though it's impossible to cast and steer on a very windy day unless maybe you have the one that mounts on your rod?

It's pretty sweet. I've had mine for a few years now and really enjoy having the mobility to control the boat from the remote....that being said, I only use it in calm conditions when the wind is at a minimum. A small gust can throw you off pretty quickly. The only thing I wish it had was an l.e.d. indicator that shows which speed you are currently in.

I have a co pilot and love it. It can be added to any Minnkota trolling motor that is not cable driven. It attaches to the side of the trolling motor with a philips screwdriver in about 2 minutes. I keep mine on my wrist like a watch and whenever I need to make an adjustment I just push a button. I was never good at foot controlling my boat so I would hold the foot petal like a gameboy. this makes things so much easier I will never own another boat without having this in my arsenal.