• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dirty shallow weedy area, what to use?

slimerg0d

Hello all, I'm new to Bass fishing. My son is getting me hooked on watching the Bass fishing shows and we were on a lake yesterday that we fish for pan fish and we have caught some bass doing so.

My question is what is a good technique to use in 2 - 6 feet of water that has many Lily pads and weeds and is not clear at all, can barely see 1 - 2 feet down? I was catching some bass on small leeches and night crawlers.

Thanks in advance. PS -- They are some fun fish to catch!

First get aleast a medium-heavy rod and some braided line, you'll need it if you fish heavy weeds... As for baits Google "Stanley Ribbit Frogs" I've been killing the bass on these the last few days in the pads, scumfrogs are also great for pads and heavy weeds... Otherwise the classic spinnerbait might work depending on how weedy it is... I also texas rig a worm and slowly work it through the pads... hope this helps.

As Broodwich mentioned, texas rig is a very good weedless option. If the water is stained I would use a pumpkin or a green color worm. If you go to YouTube.com and do a search on texas rig you will find some good info on how too setup a texas rigged worm. When I fish this way in lily pads I'll drag the worm on top of a lily pad and then slowly pull it off and let it drop all the way to the bottom, most of my strikes will happen during the fall to the bottom.

Good luck

Use a 6ft stiff(er) rod, and 14lb fireline (black).

If your using texas(carolina) rigged plastic worms, i personally suggest the gary yamokoto worms... toss it right up to the shoreline, in the little pockets, and slowly twitch the worm back... then the bass will tap, tap, and then you set the hook with a little twitch of your wrist. You gotta let the fish take it before you set the hook.

Then its a battle...remember,keep your rod tip wayyy up and don't let the bass twist the line in the pad stems, and keep that line tight for sure.

Like dude said above, most of my worm stikes happen on the drop from the top of the pad to the bottom... it doesn't hurt to let the worm sit on the bottem for a bit either.

If your using frogs, then slowly work the frog over all the pads starting as close to shore as you can cast it. Make a frog swimming motion with it... then the bass will come up and suck down that frog, and you gotta let that bass take that frog for a couple seconds. So dont set the hook too early or it'll pop right out of his mouth.

Other good baits to try are a slug-o style bait rigged weightless, or flipping a texas rigged tube into the holes in the slop. My first choice for bait would be a white colored mann's swimming frog using heavy equipment and 50lb powerpro braided line.

Check out the replies on the thread-"Stained lake help",from a couple of days ago.I replied on that one, and will do the same here to go with baits that have a bigger profile.The most vibration you can get from a bait, is king in dark/dingy/stained water conditions.Go big, or go home, in dingy water.8-10 inch Texas rigged plastic worms,1/2 oz. or heavier jigs with a pork frog-#1 size,or a big plastic crawdwad, double bladed spinnerbaits-Colorado blades, or a single blade spinnerbait with a big blade.Buzzers work well,and I like the Blue Fox double bladed buzzer. Bigger Rattlin Rapalas,or other rattlin crankbaits, could round out the selection for dark water.Noise and vibration gets the bass attention when they can't see but a foot in front of their nose.

I'd advise 20 or 30 pound test power pro, I've had no problems with it. Don't fish too many pads with the 20 but no prob in other veg.

Also, no need to lay out the big bucks for Yamamoto worms... powerbait and mr. twister work just as good or better and are way cheaper

Great advice above!!!! Thanks so much guys for sharing your advice!!!!

Here is the thing... What ever makes you happy.. go with it!.. you dont need 10 rods/reels for bass fishing! You dont! But its what makes me happy...

I have nearly 25 rods/reels for bass fishing...Each has a different job. For your type fishing I would suggest a 6'6" MH rod and 10 lb test.. .why, because it can also be a walleye rod or Pike rod.. If you have a ton of disposable income and want to get more into bass fishing we are here to help you.

As for lures, its tough, like any fishing.. things change,, weather, season, fish migrations.. different situations call for different lures... If I only were to buy one or two lures, might be a regluar plastic worm.,.. Pick something dark.. black or red shad.. 1/4oz worm weight, a 3/0 hook and have at it!!!

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
14lb fireline is way to weak to pull through the lilly pads

no its not.

It is and it isn't.. it really all depends on how you are fishing.. if your fishing for fun and dont care if you loose a fish.. then 14lb fireline is fine... I can tell you this.. I dont have any braid under 30 rigged on any of my tournament rods... I have lower pound tests in mono, but dont use them for thick cover..

It really all depends on what you are doing, What you enjoy, and what your goals are.

Originally Posted By: joeyquicksand
Originally Posted By: SledNeck
14lb fireline is way to weak to pull through the lilly pads

no its not.

It is and it isn't.. it really all depends on how you are fishing.. if your fishing for fun and dont care if you loose a fish.. then 14lb fireline is fine... I can tell you this.. I dont have any braid under 30 rigged on any of my tournament rods... I have lower pound tests in mono, but dont use them for thick cover..

It really all depends on what you are doing, What you enjoy, and what your goals are.

True... true, but i've pulled more pads up with 14lb fireline than broke the line itself... but your right, if you can hack it on 14lb, then hack it... if you need 20lb or more... than whatever floats your boat. I find I get less action and less fish with a thicker diameter line in the cuts.... but yeah.

Very good post JQS-- its really in what works for you.. And it sounds like you have a plan and I will not argue with that! If I had to guess it works quite well for you and the way you fish!

For pads and such I use 65 lb braid.. When I set the hook I mow em down!!!!

My vote is for power pro 20-30. Maybe even heavier depending on the cover especially if in a $$ tourney. In stained water I personally do not feel line diameter is much of an issue. Good Fishing!!

Couldn't agree more with Goblue. I would suggest 20-30lb pp just remember to keep your rod tip up high as to not get wrapped up in 20 lbs of pads and gunk... and for sure no need to spend 6.99 on a pack of ten senkos when they could easily tear and be lost on one fish each if rigged wacky style. I'd lean towards Mr. Twister's Comeda, Yum's Dinger or the newer senko from Berkley which is supposed to be 8 times as strong or tear resistant than the compitition. I talked to a berkley salesman today in Victoria. Also, I second on the texas rigged idea but I'd also add to that by pegging your bullet sinker with the tip of a tooth pick to stop it from sliding up your line which will make it that much more weedless. Scumfrog or spro's frogs also a go to in that situation. Good point also about counting 1 mississippi...2mississippi before setting hook after you see the initial strike on the frog. Good luck!

That's not a true statement. Line diameter can be very critical in certain "horizontal" baits. A crank bait will run at a different depth on 12lb test compared to 17lb test. That could make all the differnce in catching fish and not catching fish.

I thought I taught you that.

That's not a true statement. Line diameter can be very critical in certain "horizontal" baits. A crank bait will run at a different depth on 12lb test compared to 17lb test. That could make all the differnce in catching fish and not catching fish.

I thought I taught you that.

true, but we're talking "dirty shallow weedy"

Mono= monofilament line. Has stretch and memory and has low visability. The stretch property can actually help you while fishing certain lures. The super lines are newer and are made up of several catagories. Braids, Flourocarbons, and co-polymers. All have their applications. I'm guessing you are refering to the super Braids though. These have no stretch, virtually no memory and provide a great feel for the bite but they are much more visible under water. Also braids usually float, as Flourocarbons sink... Flouros also have a desity the gives them a light refraction index that is close to that of water so they are the most invisible. I am far from the expert on the subject but hopefully my 2 cents pointed you in the right direction.

Yep, saw them at Cabin Fever in Victoria. I'm sure other places carry them though. I believe the pack of 10 was 5.99 which to me is a bit over priced. It amazes me how much mark up there is on most of these items. I think we are better off most of the time making large orders out of Cabellas or Bass proshops or places like that and paying the shipping. Paying attention to when shipping is free is key.