• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Am I alone on this topic

Here-Kitty-Kitty

Well mine only lets me out Friday nights and Sunday Mornings. We are in the process of adopting another child so she told me yesterday she said I might loose my Friday nights :-(

On the plus side, she did say she would go out and try fishing in the boat with me. If I can get her into it that would be a huge plus.

I feel ya there. I'm sure that my fishing days will drop from saturday,. sunday, monday too maybe hopefully sunday, monday. This is are first so i'm sure she will want me there all the time as will I. Ya I hope one of these days she will come out and give it a try. That way she will see that its a blast and stop getting on my [PoorWordUsage] for spending more time with the river and my buddies.

To be straight forward with ya, I go when I can. My wife working and my kids is more of an issue, than my wife telling me I can not go.

In another year or so, the kids will be old enough to stay home alone or come with on the river. Then my fishing action will be free and clear.

I would not say my wife is warm and fuzzy towards me going. I have cut back so much on my fishing since we first met and she started to work about 8 years ago. I have to remind her of the old days when I was gone to ML every weekend, fishing in town almost every night of the week after work and planning fishing during holidays and vacations.

You are not alone. My wife has no understanding of what I do. I offer to take her out but she's not willing to go but aleast I ask if she wants to. I have not been out in 3 week. I am saving my fishing day for river trips and the KOTC get together. I don't fish a whole lot in the summer except for cats. Once fall hits I'll be out 3-4 times a week. With 3 kids at 2-3-7 all girls I have to take what I get. My wife says all I talk about is fishing, is there is anything else better to talk about. For me it's not a hobbie is life style. She will never understand.

I feel ya there. I'm sure that my fishing days will drop from saturday,. sunday, monday too maybe hopefully sunday, monday. This is are first so i'm sure she will want me there all the time as will I. Ya I hope one of these days she will come out and give it a try. That way she will see that its a blast and stop getting on my [PoorWordUsage] for spending more time with the river and my buddies.

When we first adopted our daughter, I got out very little. I've had friends who are having kids that say they are still hunting and fishing as much. I tell them to wait and see. It does change the time you get out, but it's for the better. I couldn't imagine not having my little girl and hoping a soon to be boy. There will be time when they are older and if they like fishing I could go every night. I'm not giving up fishing, I'm just spending time with my family. That is the most important thing anway. I still like at least one day to get away and clear my head. The wife gets a day as well. You have to have that.

Yeah mine loves to fish too, she understands that i am an outdoorsman and that's what I do, I don't go hang out at the bars or whatever so fishing is very acceptable. When she wants to go fishing I take her but most of the time it's just me in the boat.

She doesn't have to nag on me because I get the chores done before I even consider going ( well almost all of the time ).

I pretty much have to earn my time on the water. She works until 6:00, usually, and I'm off by 3:00, so that gives me three hours a day to get the necessary chores done. I also make sure that I spend enough time at home with her, so the occasional evening trip doesn't get her all riled up. I also have Fridays off (she doesn't), so I got that going for me. Which is nice.

She fishes with me sometimes, but she doesn't get into it as much as I do. She doesn't understand how I could be so addicted to fishing, and I can't figure out how to explain it to her. Sometimes I just have to remind her that she knew what she was getting into when she married me.

Sunday is her afternoon nap day, so that one is always a planned fishing day for me. I have a few other responsibilities that keep me from more than 1 week day normally, but it'll be changing.

My wife and I have a pretty good understanding that we can’t tell each other what to do.

Having said that I really try to make sure things around the house are taken care of (lawn/snow, garbage, misc maintenance items) before I go.

She doesn’t understand why I do what I do, but she does understand that it means a lot to me and I very rarely get the stink eye.

Of course then on off days, I make sure that I truly devote that time towards her, no fishing talk, shut off phone, etc.

It’s a balancing act for sure, but you get back what you put into it.

My wife used to fish with me alot more then she does now, but she still gets out with me. I fish 3-5 days a week, more if allowed by wife, weather, kids. She knows I like it, and I am not hanging out at the bars. I do get the signal once and a while, that I need to cut back. But then if I stay home to much, I get the signal to go fish also! Like dtro said, its just a balancing act, you just need to know, with out being told to cut back, I think that is key!

Oh Boy...Can-O-Worms there...as my memory serves me. It was often a point of conversation with her... my X-Wife now of 15 years still "Comments" on it given the opportunity.

I had T-Shirts made up of this some years back. It pretty much said it all....she hated that T-Shirt a LOT.

comic-oct2000.gif

She still does. HA!!

My wife and I have a cabin on the Snake River. When we get there the first thing she does after we unload the car is grab a rod and throw a line in. Last year, our first at the cabin, she came in and woke me up one morning with a Rapala hanging out of her finger, hook buried well past the barb. She handed me the needle nose and said "My northern shook his head and gave me my lure back."

I looked at the blood dripping down her finger and said "I'm not sure I can pull it out."

She took the pliers, pulled out the hook, put on a band aid and went back to the dock. I came down, put the northern on the stringer and threw out a line.

Her favorite fish to catch of the dock though is catfish, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I'm just wondering if any of your old ladies are as little of understanding as mine to why we do what we do.

My husband complains that I go fishing too much!

my wife has absolutely no interest in fishing... that being said, she is supportive that I have a healthy hobby (she has said a number of times she's glad I fish instead of going to the bar, gambling, that sort of thing), and that my hobby is one i can pass along to the kids without any sort of worry. She has her hobbies (scrapbooking, quilting) that she does and I support as it her healthy hobby, and that she can pass along to the kids as well. Probably in a couple of weeks I'm going to introduce my two girls to channel cats~ that should be a blast.

As has been said, it's important to make sure the home front is taken care of, in my case we are doing a basement remodel that has kept me off the water for three weeks or so, but soon I'll be able to get back to about once a week on average.

Being able to balance the recreation and the responsibilities is key I think.

You poor buggers. My wife loves to fish, especially catfish! Her first was a 17lb channel cat. Oh and muskies. I'd rather cast in the back yard, but the first time I took her she had a 50" musky hit a top water right next to the boat and tail dance for her so now she's hooked.

You know what she wanted to do for a honeymoon? Word for word this was her response. "Can we go to the cabin and catch walleyes off the dock?" Unfortunately this year the ice wasn't off the lake in time.

Her favorite wedding gift - a rod and reel combo. I should get the picture I have of me backing down my rig with the "just Married" written on the back of my truck because she wanted to go fishing the day after the wedding!

Did I mention her family has hunting land in Montana? And that I took her out there last year and she shot her first mule deer and white tail?

Having never operated a boat or backed a trailer down a ramp her goal this year is to learn how to do it so she can, quote "take the boat out while you are at work". I don't think she'd handle the rapala in the finger like rockingroy's wife, but I might even complain about that!

Now remember we are newlyweds and don't have kids yet, and that will change things, but having a wife passionate about the out doors sure makes things a lot easier.