• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 Lines

fishin58

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see myself using two lines, except in the winter anyways, which is already legal. Fishing is either too fast and furious to keep up with two, or most of the methods I use aren't condusive to using two (lindys/jigs).

If this is true- I'm immediately going to buy some planer boards....WOO HOO!!

My thought exactly! smile jig rod with a dead rod in the holder is also a killer tactic. Rod holders will also be in short supply.

Someone pinch me. Really?

this would be sweet to have a bobber set up while casting or jigging too. that way, you'd be able to really key in on what the fish want. It makes sense though since it'd kind of be like setting up a tippy and jiggin in the winter. I wonder if we'd see some abuse of this though with people exceeding their limit simply because they can catch more now. And what happens when you're trolling 4 rods with 2 people and God smiles upon you and you have 3 fish on? Maybe some trolling restrictions on this?

Nooooo..Are you kidding? C'mon two lines will not change limit. Just pass it! People will gut and kill fish 1 line or 2, it does not matter. I fished Lake Superior with three lines and still only caught so many fish. What is holding this thing up? I would even pay a little more to use two lines. Good for the state. More lures lost, good for the economy. More people fishing and buying lic, good for state. What gives?

I just got off the phone with the Fishery Dept of the DNR and they stated that it did not pass and will not go into effect,.

Thanks for checking this out! I thought I missed the big news while out in SD... where I was fishing with two lines. wink

As mentioned, it did not pass. It was in the bill until literally the final moments before the Senate conference committee pulled it out.

The language for the two line provision was in the House version of the Omnibus bill where there was little to no debate about this issue and it appeared likely it would make it through. The companion Omnibus bill in the Senate did not have this language. When the conference committee met to hash out the differences between the two bills, including the two-line provision, the Senate members wouldn't vote for it and it was pulled out.

This was blatant politics by the Senate, and in watching the debate on the floor the last evening of the session it was clear that Representatives were unhappy that essentially if the House proposed something and the Senate didn't, it got the ax. If the Senate proposed it, then it was fine and dandy. It didn't get the votes due to pure political reasons as this was a non-controversial issue otherwise.

You can be sure it will appear again next session as this is the closest it has come to passing yet in the many attempts of trying.

The DNR opposes the use of two line, and I do also. DNR studies have shown less than 10% of anglers actually catch a limit. So if two lines were allowed, more would catch a limit and put a strain on the resource. Having a limit does not prevent more fish being caught and harming the fish population.

How exactly could the DNR study this? It's not legal right now.

As I've said before I'm all for it, most people can't handle 1 rod effectivly, much less two, and they would still try, most likely catching fewer fish in the process.

I would love to see this pass! It would be great to be able to troll 2 lines when crankbaiting lakers, northerns, or 'eyes. I like to fish alone unless my wife or kids are with me, and it's times when I'm alone in the boat, I'd love to be able to fish 2 lines. I don't really buy that a person will catch more fish with 2 lines. The limits for fish are already set, so all you would do is catch your fish sooner IF you are catching fish. If you aren't on the bite, you could have 10 lines out and still not catch anything. Just my .02 worth!

Brian

Don't you think you'd catch more fish if you were fishing with a buddy, rather than by yourself? That's two lines. Let me say this again. Very few people, now, who fish, actually catch a limit-------around 7%. If fishermen were allowed to use two lines they'd more likely catch their limit. More people catching limits would mean more fish being caught. That would harm the fish population. There was a strong push this year to lower the limit to four walleyes, indicating we're close to, or at, harming the resource. In fact, allowing two lines would most likely assure that limits would be lowered. If we were to follow your reasoning that using two lines only gets you to your limit quicker, then why not allow five or ten lines?

I'll just keep fishing the Croix and using my two lines. laugh

Two lines don't hurt the fishing. I've been out many times where I don't get a limit with two lines. Catch more fish yes, but you still have to get them in the slot. There have been times where I could have had my limit in shorter time because they were biting fast. But even with one rod I would have got my limit, it would have just taken 15 minutes more.

This is way overblown IMO. Two lines are not going to do any harm.