• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transporting Rods

I know from the musky rig pics that have been posted, several of you have a fish and ski/ dual counsel boat. I'm wondering how each of you transport your big rods when you're on the water. We just picked up a new (to us) Sylvan pro select last week. It has the standard little lockers on the sides - which holds our Scooby, Sponge Bob, and other smaller rods very nicely, but not big enough for my big rods. Do you have the rod holders that screw into the sides and hold them upright? Or do you just lay them down where there is room? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just trying to avoid the pain of tangled or damaged rods, and the agony of watching a 50"er swim off the reef while I deal with a mess!

There are a couple different companies that make the braided nylon rod covers. The ones I have are called Stick Jackets, and there are others at Thorne and Gander. They are a slide on and off and are not like a bag.

$7 or 8 bucks and they help keep the tangles out and rods from getting banged up. I lay them down along the side and have no problems.

I second the rod jackets or slicks or whatever you want to call them. They are cheap, easy to use and protect your investment very well. I at times fish out of other boats than my own and when I do the rods ride in the box on the pick up. That is when I really appreciate the rod jackets. A second thing I would recommend are the neoprene reel covers. Another cheap insurance policy for more than likley a big chunk of change with a crank.

Jay

Good advise above. The one thing I would add is that a Rod Saver added either to the side of the boat or the floor to hold the tips down is a good thing. It doesn't have to be strapped down tightly , just enough to keep the tips from bouncing all over. When I was a kid I got my first real graphite rod that came with a fancy rod sock and it blew out of the boat on the first trip to the lake. I'm guessing the rod sock caught some air. I don't think the woven style Cjac is talking about would have that problem though. Either way I was sick to my stomach about losing the setup and as a 12 year old that meant I had to mow lawns the rest of the summer to replace that set-up.

Sleeves or whatever you would like to call similar products are the way to go. When you spend big money on nice rods, what's another 5-6 bucks to keep them in good shape. I go all out and put on reel covers too on all my reels. An easy way to keep dust, sun damage, scratches, scrapes, etc from wreaking havoc on your nice musky gear.

Thanks for the advise. I'm making Fathers Day plans to pick up some of those sleeves and reel covers that you suggested. I've also seen a few totes (basically a few wide velcro wraps with a long shoulder strap) that are much smaller and easier to use than a rod bag, and can keep the rods together while I bounce accross the lake.

Yup I got all my stuff at cabelas they have some great stuff. First thing I got was the rod covers with the lure keeper which cost 7 bucks I believe then we got the baitcaster reel covers which are $5 for the medium for all low profile and a few round reels and $6 for the large size which will cover just about any round reel. Our final addition was the lure covers which are about $18 for a set of 5 all of which are separate sizes.

Good Luck!

Ryan