• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's causing small bald spot? 4 pics .4pics added

Jameson

Last week my dog developed a bald spot above her hip. She does not give it ANY attention. No scratching, sniffing, nothing. It doesn't appear to have gotten any worse or better. Now I think I see another bald spot developing directly on the opposite side of her body. After doing some googling I couldn't identify what it is, and will be making a vet appointment tomorrow.

Anyone here have a guess what it might be?

pic from 6/5/08

2569633256_a6c06f7ae7_o.jpg

another from 6/5

2568807135_4ba79cce05_o.jpg

pic from 6/10/08 rear hip/back area

2568807325_266c2de544_o.jpg

another from 6/10

2568807403_718e660e2e_o.jpg

It may be of note that I was battling a poison ivy rash a week ago. Thanks

It could be a number of things and I think your on the right track with a vet visit. Allergies, hot spots and mange all are possibilities but they usually are itchy to the dog. A thyroid problem can cause hairless as well but does not bother the dog. Hair loss usually starts on the back end of the dog, if it is a thyroid problem, don't worry too much most are easily treated and the drugs are not that expensive. The white spots on the skin are interesting, let us know what you find out.

My guess would thyroid. You may want to watch your dog if it gets hot. Most dogs with a thyroid issue can't control their body temperature very well. Once on the cheap medication (I think it is under 20 cents a day) everything will come back to normal. Just something to watch out for until you get her to the vet.

Good luck,

Ike

Vet took blood test for thyroid issues. Will have tests back tomorrow. Was given Cephalexin, told to start giving that to her now. No skin scraping today, if things come back uncertain, that will be done in the future.

I think the white spots are photographing more impressive than they really are. I believe it is the natural colors of her skin. She did have a couple more of those tiny red dots today.

I also have another dog that this one plays with regular, and the other dog is not showing anything wrong with him.

Interesting that two of you had the similar spots and the cause was remidied with a change of dog food. What type of food were the two of you feeding your dogs when this occured?

More important for me, what kinds of food did you switch to?

I have fed my dogs Purina One "blue" chicken since they were done being pups. The one with the spot is 4 1/2 years old.

No word on the blood test today. I will be making a call first thing in the morning.

Interesting that two of you had the similar spots and the cause was remidied with a change of dog food. What type of food were the two of you feeding your dogs when this occured?

It is absolutely amazing how many issues food can create for dogs.

I was feeding Science Diet when he had them and switched to Diamond and they went away. After I could no longer get Diamond I switched to NutriSource and that worked good also.

Well, I wasn't able to talk to the actual Vet today, but an assistant said the thyroid tests came back with in normal range.

Looks like I will be picking up new food this weekend.

Somethings working smile , not really sure what frown.

I gave her her first yogurt ever around when I shot the first pics. I have been sneaking in some of the antibiotic pills with yogurt since then. I have not switched foods yet.

I will try and post some pics later showing the improvement.